looking for tips!!

Options
hey guys :)
so i need a few tips on some areas of my weightloss plan.
one is about eating at night. recently i've found that i do great with my eating all day but then when night rolls around (from 9 pm on) i lose track completely and end up eating things i never even wanted! any advice on how to avoid this?? i've been thinking about setting a limit on myself and saying i can't eat after a certain hour but i'm not sure what a reasonable hour is. i appreciate any tips you can give me!!
the other thing i wanted to put out there is cutting things out of my diet. i want to have a cleaner diet but i also don't want to go totally organic/SUPER healthy (only veggies, etc)... what are some things that i can cut out that will 1) increase my weightloss and 2) not be too too hard to live without? what have YOU guys cut out and are so glad you did?
thank you for any help!

Replies

• pixieE
    pixieE Posts: 30
    Options
    Ahhhh i have the same problem with eating after 9pm. Once i've got all the kids to bed i end up just snacking, usually sweets or chocolate. I now don't 'allow' myself anything after 9.30pm.
    Ideally you're not supposed to eat anything within two hours of going to bed, at least i think its two hours, i could be wrong!

As for cutting things out, i have completely cut out all fried food (I don't even have a frying pan in my house anymore), I've also cut out pasta, bread and rice.. I'm not very good at cutting out foods, i love sweet foods and chocolate and i found it really hard cutting those things out so i now just try and limit it.
    If i do want to eat alot, especially in the evening, i always try and burn up a load of calories during the day so i can 'allow' myself some :)

Best of luck to you x
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I believe it is important to stop eating a couple of hours before you go to bed. What I have done to help me from eating too late is simply go up for the night. If I sit in the livingroom, I will eventually end up in the kitchen.

As far as my diet, I prettty much eat whatever I want. I just have portions that allow me to remain within my daily calorie allowance. Making sure I workout is key, because that usually ensures that I will have the extra calories for A LITTLE indulgence. Everything in moderation. I have not cut anything out, BUT I definitely try to make healthier choices, like swapping white flour, rice, and bread for whole wheat. Everything doesn't taste as good, but it works.

Hope this helps.

Grace and Peace.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Another thing I wanted to add is that, eating better is, for me, a lifestyle change not just dieting. Cutting food out is not reality for me because it's not like I won't ever have it again. I need to be able to continue in the long term what I am doing, and hopefully I will naturally not want certain things that are really bad.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Grrr.. I just lost everything. Stupid @#%@%!!

I haven't really cut out anytihng other than pre-packaged/boxed foods - which I really just don't like much and I really can't stand fast food. I've changed when I have things and how much of it. I still have my fully loaded coffee and sodas - but I have to plan for things like soda (lots of empty cals). I do periodically have *some* boxed foods - like last night we had shells & cheese. That stuff is almost 100 cals per ounce. The portion amount on the box is 4 oz... yeah, I don't think so! I had just over 2, which was fine for me as it turned out! I also had ice cream last night, with chocolate syrup. Not fat free, not sugar free either. That was about 10 pm. BUT - my cals allowed me to do that (and I also tend to stay up really late).

I've just recently (in the last few days) learned what works for me to not feel totally bereft at the end of each meal and that I've really been over-doing my eating amounts in order to LOSE weight. Alot of trial and error. I really enjoy my breakfast now - to the point that I wish I could have it in twice the amounts! lol.... but its totally health and has enough carbs, fructose and protein that my nutritional needs are being met and as far as hunger is concerned, that's a matter of training. If you're used to eating 500 cals per meal, that's what you're going to crave for a while when you drop it down to 200!

Feel free to check out my diary from the last couple of days (but not prior - I was still screwing up then!). It's really about moderation. I even had a few whoppers (candy) yesterday!!! But I'd also had my protein, vegetables, fruit, cheese, whole grain bread, etc.... I won't treat myself to "junk food" if I've over done it in other areas. I really think the biggest damages are in teh pre-packaged and fast foods. Look at the cals, the sodium and other nutrition on a box of Rice-A-Roni!!!! Cripes... it's AWEFUL.. then look at the ingredients list.. that's even worse. I won't eat it. It doesn't even taste good to me anymore.

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful. :-) I know it's not horridly explicit... but everyone's tastes and needs are different. Oh, one thing I've started to do when I can, I substitute lettuce for fresh baby spinach leaves. :-) So, if I have a burger with the "works" (lettuce, cheese, tomato, ketchup or bbq, a touch of onion,etc.), I use spinach instead of lettuce - but you better believe that it's a beef burger and not a veggie burger!!! LOL... I do get 93/7 lean though - which honestly is more for your money because you're not losing have the cost in grease. yuck.
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I brush and floss my teeth right after (or after I clean up the kitchen) dinner. Once I've done this, I don't really want to have to brush my teeth again before bed, so it helps stop me from snacking later at night.