exercise programme to support rock climbing/bouldering

Options
Hello all,

are there any fellow climbers here? I have discovered my love for climbing/bouldering fairly recently, and have been surprised at how quickly I've managed to get better. I've also just managed to recover from some health issues, so my general level of fitness isn't great, but at least I am able to exercise regularly now.

Unfortunately I don't get to go climbing nearly as often as I would like - I generally have quite a busy schedule, but I also travel for work regularly, and don't have access to a climbing wall when I do.

I have also recently started running again (still slowly and carefully - I used to have some pain in my knee and don't want to aggravate that), and enjoy yoga and swimming. I'd like to incorporate specific strength exercises, but don't really know where to start and how to put it all together.

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I start putting together an exercise routine that will help me build strength/flexibility/endurance that would support climbing?

- What are good strength workouts that may be helpful? How often should I be doing those (e.g. short workouts every day vs longer workouts once or twice a week?) NB when I travel for work I don't have access to equipment, so can really only do body weight exercises
- I read interval training is the best way to improve cardio fitness, does anyone have good recommendations for a (beginners) running routine that incorporates that?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rock-climbing-how-to-cross-train.html

This is one of several links i found with a quick google search.
  • m_onamission
    m_onamission Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks Azdak - unfortunately I'm not sure I will always find somewhere to secure a resistance band in hotel rooms so would prefer something entirely without equipment, but thank you for googling this for me!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    working on flexibility and upper body is good. so pilates, yoga, bodyweight exercise.
    if you are a beginner, couch 2 5k is popular for running. there are other plans. you might see if your local running store has group runs or specifically a beginning running group. they are a fantastic resource.
    otherwise, hiking can be challenging well.
    if you can find time and a gym/studio, the aerial arts are a great way to condition for rock climbing. many aerialists are rock climbers as well
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You can bring resistance bands with you. Mine fold into a teeny tiny pouch. It's also a piece of equipment, but I would suggest a power ball. You can easily take it with you and it's fantastic for building grip/forearm strength and endurance. Just 30 seconds will have your forearms screaming. It just takes a little while to figure out how to get it going. And I'd invest in a hang board for home to work on your pulling and finger strength.

Here are some great tips for travelers.

https://www.climbing.com/skills/7-ways-to-secretly-train-for-climbing-anywhere/

Oh - and continue with the yoga for flexibility. You can do that anywhere.
  • m_onamission
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    working on flexibility and upper body is good. so pilates, yoga, bodyweight exercise.
    if you are a beginner, couch 2 5k is popular for running. there are other plans. you might see if your local running store has group runs or specifically a beginning running group. they are a fantastic resource.
    otherwise, hiking can be challenging well.
    if you can find time and a gym/studio, the aerial arts are a great way to condition for rock climbing. many aerialists are rock climbers as well

Thanks! I feel like I'm a little too advanced for couch to 5k, but maybe I'll do the latter half and just focus on getting faster in the running intervals!

Hiking is great, but unfortunately not an option when I'm travelling for work, as much as I would love that! Same with aerial arts - I don't want to add something else that I can only do sporadically. But I think I may look into a taster session somewhere as it does look really fun!!
  • m_onamission
    Options
    You can bring resistance bands with you. Mine fold into a teeny tiny pouch. It's also a piece of equipment, but I would suggest a power ball. You can easily take it with you and it's fantastic for building grip/forearm strength and endurance. Just 30 seconds will have your forearms screaming. It just takes a little while to figure out how to get it going. And I'd invest in a hang board for home to work on your pulling and finger strength.

Here are some great tips for travelers.

https://www.climbing.com/skills/7-ways-to-secretly-train-for-climbing-anywhere/

Oh - and continue with the yoga for flexibility. You can do that anywhere.

I do actually have some resistance bands somewhere, my comment above was more about the specific exercises in the linked post relying on me being able to tie them onto something at an appropriate height - which may not always work. But in general, can you recommend a good routine that incorporates exercise bands? I'm fairly new to any sort of strength exercises, so while there are lots of videos etc., would be great to get some pointers ;)

Same with the power ball - do you use that daily?

The article you linked is pretty interesting, will save that! I'm sure I can incoroporate some of the exercises from time to time!

I've started doing yoga more regularly again, but tbh I still think it's too infrequent to see any real improvement in my flexibility. It does help me feel less sore though, so that's great.

Basically, I think what I am trying to say here is I have lots of ideas for exercises, but don't really know what the best way to turn that into some sort of a routine where I will see improvements?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    for body weight, you are your own gym and convict conditioning are popular.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    for body weight, you are your own gym and convict conditioning are popular.

I've dabbled with both convict conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym and both programs are great for doing anywhere with no equipment and are progressive. With YAYOG, you do need access to normal household things like doors, tables, chairs, towels, etc. I also do a lot of workouts from Zuzka Light that are minimal equipment. Some none, some bands and sliders, some need pullup bars, exercise balls or kettlebells. However it's a paid subscription. But you can search workouts by equipment. So if you are travelling, you can look for workouts that are bodyweight only or ones that just need bands and sliders.

I don't use the powerball as much as I should. I leave it on my coffee table and just pick it up when I think of it. But realistically I should be doing it several times a day. It's great prevention against carpal tunnel.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most resistance bands (not the rubber band type) come with an anchor that can be slipped through a door frame, making them very portable and adjustable. Also consider TRX suspension straps. Any balanced full body routine will benefit you to begin with. Get a consistent base established for about 6 months then fine tune from there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The main things are lower body strength and balance. It's more important that you stay active than what you do specifically.