"This is Us" fans... how do we feel about Cross Fit Toby?

Options
lauragreenbaum
lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
When they were initially filming the show, the actor playing Toby had to wear what they meanly call a "fat suit" and the show was criticized for not using an actor who was actually that size. The actor defended the choice because he said later in the series we'd understand why.
So now Toby has lost the weight. I am happy for him, but he's a bit obsessed which is perfectly natural when getting into a new exercise routine and seeing success. I feel for Kate.....she's being left behind. Toby needs to encourage her to join him. Yeah, I know it's just a show, but this situation happens in real life.

Replies

• AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i didn't know about the fat suit -- i figured he lost weight in real life between seasons and they had to write in an explanation as to why...... being a new parent it is hard to find time to do things you did before you had a kid and I didn't totally follow what time he is going to the gym, if he is spending time away from them when he could be spending the time with his family, I'm not a fan of that but if he is taking time away from sleep or something like that ok.....agree that he should have been honest with her but she'll also have to strike the balance between being supportive of him making positive changes and being perturbed that he was hiding it from her....
  • jacktherower
    jacktherower Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Crossfit, keto... all cults.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I watch this show so I've had this on my mind a lot.

I think it's sad that Kate doesn't seem to feel motivated to make changes herself. I can definitely understand her feeling intimidated or jealous of the time and energy Toby's spending with his Crossfit involvement but it seems like she's not at all inspired by his positive changes...and that seems sad to me. I guess walking around the block is better than nothing.

I am not into CF but I do love the way the actor playing Toby is still a husky, heavy dude, but they're showing how much healthier & fitter he has become. I know "in real life" it's just shedding the padding he previously wore...but I think a lot of times on TV/movies the person has to go from fat to super-skinny & totally ripped. To me, "Crossfit Toby" is a realistic looking guy and quite inspiring.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

How.... how can you say this !??!?

I do CrossFit & I'm also a Vegan.

..... which one would you like to hear all about first ??

Just let me know; I have all day.

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Whoa.
  • lauragreenbaum
    Options

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I do understand what you mean. I don't think they are cults, but it is very easy to get overly excited on the verge of obsessed when you find something that works for you. Especially if you've been searching your whole life. I started Pilates a year ago and go to class every day. At first I talked about it constantly and I'm sure annoyed the hell out of my friends. I still love it and am just as enthusiastic, but I don't share unless asked.
  • jestog63
    jestog63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The show lives on drama, eventually cross fit Toby will do some push presses on cross fit Shiela.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    [but I don't share unless asked.

• lauragreenbaum
    Options
    jestog63 wrote: »
    The show lives on drama, eventually cross fit Toby will do some push presses on cross fit Shiela.

NOOOO!!! He can't cheat on Kate!
  • RevGym2
    RevGym2 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Toby is bringing rainbows and sunshine to the show!!
  • Annagrace75
    Annagrace75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! Watched the latest episodes last night, and I was annoyed by Toby. And my heart was breaking for Kate, who is home with the stress of the new baby.
  • Annagrace75
    Annagrace75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just think it’s important to be sensitive to whose around you when you’re talking about health and fitness. I love this website because this is where I can discuss these issues. But with my family who struggles with obesity and sugar addiction, I would never talk about it.
  • lauragreenbaum
    Options
    I just think it’s important to be sensitive to whose around you when you’re talking about health and fitness. I love this website because this is where I can discuss these issues. But with my family who struggles with obesity and sugar addiction, I would never talk about it.

I think that's what is happening in this show. Toby is afraid to talk to Kate about her weight because he knows she's already really stressed with the baby. But she obviously needs to work on it because she keeps stress eating and is the heaviest she's been in the series. The baby won't have a mom if she doesn't get her weight under control and that's how Toby should approach her.
  • jacktherower
    jacktherower Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I’ll be honest here. This show makes me cringe.

And I love corny chick flicks but the level of cringe here is unsettling
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That part really irked me.
    Kate never seems to be supportive of Toby's weight loss attempts. like no matter what Toby does, she will always have a problem with it. The man chose to get healthy for his family, why shame him on that? hell, remember Depressed Toby? gimme Crossfit Toby any day of the week and mygawd is that man fiiiiine!

I find myself siding with Toby on this one because being on the same journey myself (not doing crossfit though, i'm a beachbody girl) i know firsthand how difficult it is to stay the course when everyone else around is not on the same page.
    Logging food, counting calories, minding what you eat, choosing to walk over sitting on the couch to watch tv, work out every day... it's a struggle, every freaking day. If the tables were turned Kate would have a fit if he was not supportive of her journey. She needs to get over herself, everything is woa is me with her.

It is really hard to stay the course if there is no support coming your way. Personally, i think Kate has a lot to learn from Crossfit Toby. That's a devoted husband who adores his wife and loves his child deeply and could really use some support from his wife.
    Kate is so full of herself and obviously has deeper issues than just jealousy and maybe they should steer her in therapy/ counseling direction so she can address her insecurities and stop making herself the victim.

Toby does need to get over himself about being there for every "first" baby Jack has though and maybe volunteer to watch him so Kate can go do something that makes her heart happy.
  • lauragreenbaum
    Options
    I agree that Toby can't have it both ways- if he's going to be obsessive about working out then he's going to miss some things.