weight loss surgery

Options
I am having WLS December 19th. I am worried that I will fail at that. I start a clear liquid diet in 15 days-scary!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Have you been able to talk to someone about your worries? A family member, a friend, or perhaps a therapist? I think it would be good to get those worries out because it will only help your journey to go into it with a clearer head.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good support network? Supportive friends/family? Maybe even a therapist? Weight loss is mental journey just as much as it is physical. Could be helpful to schedule even the occasional therapy session to have some support.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I agree about seeing someone to help you deal with your concern. I also think now is the time to make sure you feel fully educated on the process of losing weight. Remember that WLS is a tool not a cure. You still have to change your habits and mindset just as if you were losing weight without it.
  • DeRangedMouse_
    DeRangedMouse_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I kind of know how you feel. I am one year post vsg surgery. The best thing for anyone getting the surgery is to join support groups online and try to visit the group counseling programs most bariatric centers have. They normally hold them once a month and it is a great way to talk to others having the surgery around your time. Having a good support system, whether it's friend/family or others who have gone through with surgery, really helps you stay to the program. I wish you only the best OP.
  • ketrabettis
    ketrabettis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The program I am going through requires nutrition classes and support group meetings. I didn't think I would learn anything in the nutrition classes, but I definitely have. I had to do a psych eval, EGD, and stress test. I start my clear liquid diet in 6 days!! My husband is extremely supportive. I have only had one person ask me why I was "cheating" by having surgery but many people know someone who has done it, so they are more educated on it.
  • Sandeeng84
    Sandeeng84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous commenters. I work in a Bariatric/endocrinology clinic and there’s lots of support. If you have a belief that prays lean towards them for support. It’s scary but you can do it. I’m a CMA in my clinic and have come across several patients who are apprehensive about it. I don’t know about where you go but some offices offer free support groups several times per month various days and locations and times. I know for a fact Facebook has a Bariatrics weight loss support group. You’re not alone in your journey. Apprehension is normal. Yes a clear liquid diet is hard but I have faith you can do this. Keep your chin up. You’ll be ok. :)
  • ketrabettis
    ketrabettis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss surgery program I weighed 277 lbs. On the 19th I had my weight loss surgery and weighed 264. I now weight 247lbs. It is still really hard to eat/do the right things, but I am not going to have gone through surgery for nothing! My why is my youngest two sons. I want to be active with them. I promised them I would be able to ride (fit) rollercoasters with them this Summer!!
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss surgery program I weighed 277 lbs. On the 19th I had my weight loss surgery and weighed 264. I now weight 247lbs. It is still really hard to eat/do the right things, but I am not going to have gone through surgery for nothing! My why is my youngest two sons. I want to be active with them. I promised them I would be able to ride (fit) rollercoasters with them this Summer!!

That's great! Good job