can you tone up in maitenance????

Options
I have hit a healthy weight, so I'm sarting maitenance. I am at a BMI of exactly 21. Here's the question? How do you tone up without losing more weight? Is it even possible, or do you have to lose weight to tone and get rid of excess jiggle:blushing:

My midsection has seen dramatic changes and is 300% better and stronger than when I started this journey 172 days ago. But I still have a layer of jelly over my muscles and I would like to tone it up. How do I stop that jiggle:wink:

Replies

• raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm in the same place and am eager to see the replies you get :)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining my goal weight for over a 1 1/2 years. I still maintain the same exercise routine that I had been doing during my weight loss time period. There is still a bit of jiggly jelly in places, that I have learned to live with.

If you have a reliable HRM, you can eat your exercise calories. But I wouldn't get too obsessive about it. Continue to follow the healthy eating habits and healthy exercise, and learn to dress to hide the jiggly . Strength training will tone up, but cardio will burn the fat.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for the past 6 months and working on muscle tone. Of course you can do it and not loose weight, you just eat more calories. I set my profile to maintenance and eat all or most of my exercise calories. On top of that I continue to run, bike and weight train.

Great job on your weight loss.
  • chronic1977
    Options
    cross training and diet will get rid of the mid section fat... keep enough calories to maintain weight but keep fat intake to a healthy minimum.. no salt, lots of water
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    So if you eat your exercise calories, but continue to work your muscles it continues to develop them? It doesn't just keep you exactly where you are?

Sorry to be slow in understanding, I just want to continue my progress, and be able to help my friends that have started this journey too.
  • lculian
    Options
    cross training and diet will get rid of the mid section fat... keep enough calories to maintain weight but keep fat intake to a healthy minimum.. no salt, lots of water
    Cross training?? Can you give me some examples? Thanks
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    If you continue to work your muscles, they will continue to develop.
    Technically, regardless of diet your muscles will continue to develop if you are working out.
    It's just much more difficult to see a difference because you won't lose that layer of flab covering those developing muscles :laugh:
    You may lose weight on the scale or you may see a gain because of the density of that muscle that you're building.
    If I were you, and you're happy with where you are at on the scale, I'd step off the scale for about a month, do all the weight training that you want, and see what kind of difference it makes at the end of that month.
  • lculian
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas!