Lower Back Pain

GlobeYack
GlobeYack Posts: 42 Member
edited November 2019 in Motivation and Support
Anyone else dealing with lower back pain and do you have any advice to give with regards to losing weight when this is a factor?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Not being able to walk more than a block or two was a big motivator for me.

Weight loss takes place mostly in the kitchen. Get a food scale, start a food diary, calculate a modest calorie deficit and start crunching numbers. I weighed 285 lbs when I started. 170.6 today. Sometimes my back hurts a bit but it’s usually from over doing it in some activity.

Look on YouTube for exercise and stretches that might get you some relief in the short term.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    My best advice is to do something to start moving. I've had 4 low back surgeries and core exercises help a lot, find something for bad backs and modify if needed. Swimming or pool walking or walking in general is a great way to get started. I use a recumbent bike, you have back support while riding. I started weights and that's made a huge difference in mobility along with the weight loss. I used to be unable to do my own grocery shopping as I couldn't stand or walk for long, never thought shopping would make me so grateful!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Factors in the subsiding of my back pain discomfort: two hip replacements (January and April) that have vastly improved my general posture; the PT exercises I have done in their aftermath which I continue to do today only in pools; and the 40 lb weight loss that came as a result of all of it plus diet monitoring.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Lower back pain can have lots of causes and therefore lots of treatment options. I would see a doctor to make sure the activity you are thinking of doesn’t make your condition worse.

It’s difficult to speculate what will help when you don’t know what’s wrong.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Yes. I have gone to PT and was vigilant about doing the exercises necessary to correct it. The effect it had on my life was even more debilitating than the pain.
  • moonlightsun1
    moonlightsun1 Posts: 3 Member
    I don't quite understand how losing weight can cause lower back pain. It is possible that when performing any physical exercises, you have an excessive load on your back. If someone understands this relationship, I will be happy to hear and understand :) .
    Personally, I had lower back pain due to the peculiarities of my work, I have to work for a long time in a stationary sitting position. I tried massages ( but to be honest, there was a temporary effect), painkillers (caused addiction, and then stopped helping at all). In the end, I was recommended to try a new method in medicine - chiropractic. I was skeptical about all of this at first. After I found larsonchiro.com. I studied all the information, and decided to try, since I had no other choice. And that now...
    I regularly attend chiropractic sessions. I'm happy with the result, I forgot what pain is. Maybe you should try it..