Foodaholic

Options
Any advise to a new member who is a foodaholic? I can easily not drink, smoke or anything else. But food. Oh my. Would be grateful if anyone could offer some advise.

Replies

• eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    it's tough, isn't it? Because the fact is, we cannot QUIT food. Trying leads to new problems.

The best advise I have for you is to figure out what your maintenance looks like and aim for a small but honest deficit. You will achieve this either by cutting down on your biggest vice (e.g. pop) or by tracking meticulously so that your are eating slightly less over all. The less your deficit is, the easier it will be... but the more important it will be to be accurate, as there will be less room for error or unplanned treats.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I'm a foodaholic too. :( I eat stuff whether my stomach wants it or not. Once I start I cannot stop. :( A PCP once told me to just eat carrots instead or brownies. OMG that's breaking news!! :/ Yeh, never went back to her. I guess from AnnPT77's post I have the psychological compulsion to eat. I'm not done until I finish that pkg. of cookies, etc. I seem to have the need to fill some kind of void in my life, to eat away my emotions. :( Eryn0x's advice is right on. And it's exactly what's been keeping me successful. It helps to see those #'s right in front of me, know when I need to stop for the day, what nutrients I need to work into or out of my diet more.
    Don't forget, if a day is less than stellar tomorrow's a new one and you don't need to throw your hands up yelling I quit! (done that so many times in my life :(). Think positive, feel the confidence and self control, the determination with positive self talk. Use wording such as can, will instead of I'll never get there or I can't do this. Be gentle and patient with yourself; it's definitely a lifelong journey, no way around that. Strive to start new habits to replace the old ones.
    Good luck and welcome!!!