I had a lousy, no good, rotten day.

My daughter is taking vacation this week. She has been planning for several weeks to go to the Dallas Arboretum today. I was ready. I was psyched. She woke up late in the morning and announced that the Arboretum was off the plan and she wanted to go shopping.

My plan was dashed. I started eating everything.

I managed to stop, but my food log is, at best, an approximation. At 3 pm I brushed my teeth and lay in bed to read for 90 minutes. At 4:30 pm I got up and started cardio exercising. I did 3 hours of cardio, logged 1500 calories because the machine got to 500 three times.

It's just one day. Tomorrow is another. She said she wanted to go bowling.

Replies

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Did you let your daughter know you were psyched to go to the Dallas Arboretum?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I just did. She has an account here.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'd be really upset if this were how my dad communicated he was disappointed. I sincerely hope this was intended as a lighthearted poke at her.

I don't know that I'd be upset (but it's very much in the realm of possibility), but I would be disappointed and incredibly unimpressed that he chose social media as a way to attempt to communicate his displeasure to me while also airing it to thousands of people. It's not exactly an effective way to engender sympathy.

I agree, I hope this was intended as a lighthearted poke/joke.
  • aokoye
    Is there a reason why you didn't go to the Dallas Arboretum without your daughter? Were you unable to get there by yourself?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Life is filled with disappointments abound. It does do a body good to accept *kitten* happens. But I also can understand dealing with stressors in life, through food. However, burning 1500 calories through exercise is nothing to sneeze at.
    Hope you and dd can talk about this.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I would be more than upset if a parent blamed me for a day of rebellious eating at all much less in public. I am not sure how this could be taken as a joke since it was made on a forum where people might take it at face value.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I get it. It was a big deal for you to have an outing with her and you were looking forward to it. It wasn't a big deal to her, so she decided to do something else. This happens and I think you need a plan for yourself in these situations. Try to always have a plan B. You won't change and neither will she, so you've got to find a way to handle it when it happens again, and again,......
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I'd just go without her, lol.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I kinda get it. I mean, I have been upset about a change in plans. I try to get out and walk. Sunlight is very good for your mood. Niacin also helps when I feel down. I hope she doesn't cancel on you. But have a backup plan or join her when she changes her mind. I don't think she meant for it to be taken personally.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    My daughter is taking vacation this week. She has been planning for several weeks to go to the Dallas Arboretum today. I was ready. I was psyched. She woke up late in the morning and announced that the Arboretum was off the plan and she wanted to go shopping.

I managed to stop, but my food log is, at best, an approximation. At 3 pm I brushed my teeth and lay in bed to read for 90 minutes. At 4:30 pm I got up and started cardio exercising. I did 3 hours of cardio, logged 1500 calories because the machine got to 500 three times.

I don't get the connection between the arboretum and the eating everything. Were you originally planning on eating leaves off the trees for lunch?
  • aokoye

I don't get the connection between the arboretum and the eating everything. Were you originally planning on eating leaves off the trees for lunch?

If your arms are long enough to pluck leaves off of nearby trees to munch on, are you really straying off the trail? 🤔
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Disappointment eating.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Next time tell her bottling it up just leads to her feeling anger not knowing why when she’s trying to enjoy time with you. If you told her she probably would have made time to do both half time at each.

Her reading it here later tells her but in a public way that’s not going to go over well for either of you. You obviously love each other just tell her minute it happens next time. Then if she still wants to do something else we’ll then you can be miffed at her!
  • aokoye

Disappointment eating.

Thankfully, the only person who is responsible for that is the OP, not the daughter (I'm not saying that you've said or implied otherwise).
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    I dont go to food I just get stuck into cleaning as it burns off my frustration and calories too as there is no point dwelling on someting I cant change!