When weight loss isn’t a shiny new thing anymore

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it ultimately has to be about more than a number on the scale. I've been in maintenance for over 6 years, and there's absolutely nothing "exciting" about the scale in maintenance.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well - have lost 11 of a 22 lb goal. Doing all the right things but on a week long plateau. My weight has actually never been this consistent (I usually fluctuate +/- 2-3 lbs with a down trendline...) and I'm stuck on this plateau (been about a week). Weight has not deviated more than 0.5 lb on any given day and most days it's been *exactly* the same (so no up and down but no downward trend either). Still logging, still exercising, still on a (no alcohol) diet....

Sometimes its just one big exercise in patience.

I went a spell in October and November for about 2 weeks where my scale would tease me by dropping .5 lb., then adding 2 lbs., went like that for a good solid 3 weeks. Was feeling darn discouraged but back on the down trend now and losing steady. So hang in there, it'll all catch up and you'll start losing again, as long as all your numbers are lining up right. :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Non-weight-loss goals are a nice diversion! Something physical, like being able to climb a mountain! Gives more incentive to stay light.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think it ultimately has to be about more than a number on the scale. I've been in maintenance for over 6 years, and there's absolutely nothing "exciting" about the scale in maintenance.

This is so true, it's harder than losing so far! My weight bounced up and I was getting upset then realized I actually look better, but don't want to continue gaining. I'm taking a few week break from weighing so I'm not as focused on the number.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,126 Member
    Options
    Non-weight-loss goals are a nice diversion! Something physical, like being able to climb a mountain! Gives more incentive to stay light.

Running longer/faster is a good one for me at the moment. As a beginner, many goals left to accomplish! :grin:
    Weight training is a good one too, lifting heavier weights, I don't like this idea that some people have that only men should lift heavy things.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    the daily drudge of being overweight..of not looking like yourself..passing up shopping because nothing that looks good on the hanger looks good on you. Feeling like your old and tired.. it goes on and on...feet hurting..

Now those things are a way bigger drag then learning how to eat healthy and move a bit more.

I much rather lean into the changes I've had to make to be at my healthy weight. It is worth it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's hard.

But you aren't really "motivated" to brush your teeth or put on deodorant and yet...(hopefully) you do it anyway.

Try to see the logging thing as one of those "things ya gotta do" and spend as little time as possible dwelling on how awful it is. Time how long it takes you to do it...I'm guessing it's less than 10 minutes a day. You can do almost anything for 10 minutes during the day, right?