BEST Macro Calculator I Can Use Today?

Options
Hey everyone,

I am pre-diabetic and must follow a low-carb diet. What is the best site to determine what my daily macro intake should be?

Would really appreciate your advice, thank you!

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    i have not used it but I heard that carb master is good--
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Who has said that because you are pre-diabetic you must follow a low carb diet? A registered dietician? Usually people with pre-diabetes (and even some with Diabetes) don't necessarily need to follow a low carb diet. Usually getting to a healthy weight is the best thing you can do, while also avoiding some high GI/GL foods and focusing more on complex carbs. But you don't usually need to go Keto or anything unless there is an additional factor.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The provider who diagnosed you and prescribed a low carb diet should give you macro guidelines or refer you to a registered dietician who can.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At the end of the day, a calculator its just as much of a guess as anything else. For low carb, aim for around 120g or less carbs per day. For keto, it would be 20-50g per day. Generally, with a lower carb or keto diet you would want increases in sodium (especially on keto).

Overall, cutting carbs would provide a benefit with diabetes (not as necessary with prediabetes but it would probably be helpful). Weight loss and exercise will also help with that.
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2019
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Who has said that because you are pre-diabetic you must follow a low carb diet? A registered dietician? Usually people with pre-diabetes (and even some with Diabetes) don't necessarily need to follow a low carb diet. Usually getting to a healthy weight is the best thing you can do, while also avoiding some high GI/GL foods and focusing more on complex carbs. But you don't usually need to go Keto or anything unless there is an additional factor.

While one can certainly limit carbs and address pre-diabetes from diet and exercise, a person would see improvements quicker from low carb or keto diets. It's pretty logical. If one is showing issues with elevated BG or insulin, the most effective way to control that is be reducing foods that dont drive up BG or prolong increases in insulin. Of course losing weight and exercise can improve both, but it there would be a more immediate effect with a lower carb diet.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

While one can certainly limit carbs and address pre-diabetes from diet and exercise, a person would see improvements quicker from low carb or keto diets. It's pretty logical. If one is showing issues with elevated BG or insulin, the most effective way to control that is be reducing foods that dont drive up BG or prolong increases in insulin. Of course losing weight and exercise can improve both, but it there would be a more immediate effect with a lower carb diet.

Sure if a person can comfortably follow a low carb diet, it is the better option. But the non-low card diet one dors is better than the low-carb diet one doesn't do because they struggle to stick to it.

When I hear things like "must" in regards to low carb, it indicates to me that the poster thinks that's the only option. When that is not the case. It is not anywhere close to universally recommended that pre-diabetes has to be treated with a low carb diet. And so people need to know that if they would struggle going a low carb route, they don't have to force themselves to.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Sure if a person can comfortably follow a low carb diet, it is the better option. But the non-low card diet one dors is better than the low-carb diet one doesn't do because they struggle to stick to it.

When I hear things like "must" in regards to low carb, it indicates to me that the poster thinks that's the only option. When that is not the case. It is not anywhere close to universally recommended that pre-diabetes has to be treated with a low carb diet. And so people need to know that if they would struggle going a low carb route, they don't have to force themselves to.

There are certainly multiple paths. But if it was me or one of my kids, I am going to go down the route that keeps proving most effective.

IMO, the OP can slowly transition to make it easier. Replace added sugar with low GI fruits. Add more veggies, nuts/seed (especially lower carb ones), increase fish/seafood, and increase meats. And if they do consume carbs, make sure its with fats/fiber to help blunt BG increases.