Too few calories - need help

So I've lost 43 pounds since I started in July, going from 280 down to 237. A problem this community helped me realize recently is that my weight has stalled over the last month because I was dramatically undereating, trying to get bigger deficits. So today I started to track my calories and eat the full 1,800 I'm allowed. However, after putting in my full day of meals (which were good sizes), I am still 800 calories short. What are some good ideas for ways to fill those 800 calories if there really isn't any room for me to add to my meals?

Replies

• UVAPhan
    UVAPhan Posts: 21 Member
    Is it okay to eat things that like that are generally unhealthy in order to fill extra calories?
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Can you add snacks in-between your meals? An apple with peanut butter? Or after dinner dessert like ice cream or popcorn?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    If you do not have any type of medical condition that they would be bad for you. No reason not to eat them. Nuts, seeds and milk butters by the way are on almost every type of food plan. I eat low carb and eat them regularly.

The key is just not to go over your calorie allotment.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    A big glass of milk is 140 calories ish.

Nuts or chips or peanut butter or nutella can be eaten as a snack and are high calorie.

Ice cream.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Good, I'm glad you're picking up more calories. It's Day One, it may take you a little while to get used to eating more. :)

Add oils, butter, nuts, grains, potatoes etc. All foods are good foods in moderation. Cookies. Real cream.

1800 still isn't a lot of food, you'll get used to it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    UVAPhan wrote: »
    Is it okay to eat things that like that are generally unhealthy in order to fill extra calories?

You can eat whatever you want.

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Brownies
  • UVAPhan
    UVAPhan Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks everyone for your help! It's so strange to me to think that in order to start losing weight again I need to eat more, not less. I never realized my weight would stall from not eating enough.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Honestly, other than some cortisol issues that cause water retention, no one really needs to eat more to lose. Sometimes doing that causes some adaptations and/or causes the water weight to drop.

You should eat the appropriate amount to support your goals and let the short term fluctuations come and go. A trending app helps with this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    mmapags wrote: »
    Honestly, other than some cortisol issues that cause water retention, no one really needs to eat more to lose. Sometimes doing that causes some adaptations and/or causes the water weight to drop.

You should eat the appropriate amount to support your goals and let the short term fluctuations come and go. A trending app helps with this.

He was under eating by a lot. Once again, context.

Here's his other thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44454609#Comment_44454609
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I don’t understand.

If you were eating in a deficit you would be losing.

Eating more cals when you are not losing will not achieve the result you are seeking. Have I missed something?

Yes he was losing.

43 lb in 4 months in fact.

Issue, I think, was losing in unhealthy way by too steep a deficit.

• XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Eat whatever you fancy...just make sure it’s fits within your permitted calories and enjoy it!!!

Wish I had 800 cals to play with.. 😜