Question about counting calories and my app

Options
angiemotto
angiemotto Posts: 31 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello! I have a question for anyone who can possibly answer. I have been using an app called Livestrong on my iPad since I started losing weight. I enter my age, weight, and that I want to lose 2 pounds a week. At first it had me on 1000 calories a day and as I lost weight, it has gradually decreased my calories to about 800 a day. I am usually able to follow this because I work out for around 2 hours a day doing zumba, yoga and kickboxing. After the difference in my food and exercise its under 800. Sometimes its lower than that after I subtract my exercise. Heres where my question comes in. Now that I have been on this website more I have been filling out my calories and food on here as well. Its telling me that I need around 1600 calories a day. Thats a huge difference in what I'm used to. Why is it such a difference? And which app is the correct on? It seems the one on my ipad has been working I'm continuing to lose weight every week. Usually its around a pound or two now that I've lost my majority of weight. Why such a difference in what I should be taking in calorie wise? Thank you!

Replies

• kj26boys
    kj26boys Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the difference and have never used livestrong. However, I have heard over and over and over that you shouldn't eat under 1200 cals a day. I think your calorie limit it determined by your current weight and activity levels. You need to eat calories to sustain that kind of exercise. I would try sticking with MFP and see what your results are.
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the difference and have never used livestrong. However, I have heard over and over and over that you shouldn't eat under 1200 cals a day. I think your calorie limit it determined by your current weight and activity levels. You need to eat calories to sustain that kind of exercise. I would try sticking with MFP and see what your results are.

This. 1000 calories is ridiculously low and 800 seems like starving yourself. What is your current height and weight? I know that if I ate only 800 calories a day I would not be able to function. Maybe find a happy medium, like around 1200 or 1300?
  • angiemotto
    Options
    Thanks you guys for replying. I've been wondering for past couple weeks. My friend said its okay to eat 800 but I wasn't so sure. I never eat 800 calories I always eat more but after subtracting my exercise its always around 800 or below. I'm losing weight but I want to be healthy doing it cause I don't want to gain it back. When I started Trying to lose weight I was 186 pounds and I'm barely 5'3 so the 186 was considered obese. Now I'm 151 and still considered fat for my height. My job doesn't require exercise, besides my daily workouts im not active. Thanks I'm gonna eat 1200 calories this week cause I'm burning loads of calories a day. I've been waking up really hungry lately. I don't want my body to stop losing weight because it need more calories.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When you log your food onto your diary on here does it not say that you should eat more? Usually says in red at the bottom of the page if you haven't eaten enough calories for the day. You are also given extra calories for the amount of exercise you log.

I thought you needed at least 1000 calories just to survive and for your body to do what it needs every day. Surely if you are only on 800 you must feel weak?

MFP works your calories out using the information you provide, it helps you lose steadily each week rather than lots all at once.

Good luck
  • jackspack
    jackspack Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A healthy loss is about 1 pound per week. And the others are right-- 800 is a starvation diet. You need at least 1500. Follow the ap. It wont let you down. Best of luck
  • angiemotto
    Options
    Thanks y'all. If you ever see an app called livestrong that's the app that had me on that less of calories. It's very popular on App Store. They have a free version i was using, if anyone runs across it. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had that problem. I switched it to 1 pound a week instead of two and it still only allowed me 1000 calories. I'm just sticking to MFP and looking forward to eating a little more today lol

In reply to Tina, I just started using the food diary on here this week. And noticed the huge difference that's what made me start wondering. The food diary on here says to eat 1200 a day and even more after my exercise is logged in. I haven't actually felt weak but I've been really hungry when I wake up. Can't say I haven't felt the effects of eating low calories, I have. I tire out more easy on my workouts. i just assumed the app knew its information.

Thanks for the info everybody. I appreciate it.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body if its hungry then feed it. Also, you will want to try to net at least 1200 calories. The net number is food calories - exercise calories burned. For example you eat 1200 calories but then work out and burn 500 calories = 1200 - 500 = net of 700 calories. Hope this helps. It is also not uncommon for you weight loss to start slowing down when you are closer to your goal weight. And you might want to slowly add in more calories to prevent gaining weight since you have been lower calorie amounts for awhile.
This discussion has been closed.