Help!!!

Hello Friends!! 😊
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends! ❤️
Y’all, I need #help 😳 like really!! I need some encouragers, some motivators!! 2019 has not been good to me as far as weight. 😭 well, no! I haven’t been good to myself in 2019!
I can give y’all all my reasons. All my excuses but they really don’t matter. What matter is the days ahead. It’s almost a brand new year!! 😳 2020!! 😱 I know y’all want believe this but I will be 40 on my next birthday. I don’t want to go into another year hating myself. I need to change so many things. I have broke so many promise to myself the last 3 years. I am tired of it.
A lady said to me the other day that she believes, “ once a woman hits a certain age, that’s it! She’s done take everyone’s *kitten*!!” You know what?! I think I believe her and I believe that age for me is 39.
I just wish I didn’t have to do it all by myself....

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think loss is a solitary pursuit. Become a regular on these boards, maybe find a group. The idea that we’re going to find weight loss and fitness partners is largely a myth. And, given the high percent of weight loss plan fail, its risky business.
    Eventually it gets down to us individually and we’re better off like that.

Let’s talk about the broken promises to yourself. Be careful what promises you make. As you can see the broken promise is potentially destructive, as one broken promise can bleed into other areas. But conversely, if you pick your promises carefully, it will give you something to build on.

Identify a couple of things that you think would be good habits. Think small and simple. If you don’t mind, I’ll suggest two. Start a food diary. At a critical point, I read somewhere that research had shown a food diary to be one of the best weight loss tools.
    Just start by keeping a list of everything you eat or drink that has calories. No numbers. Just a list. Doesn’t need to be on the computer. Just pen and paper if you want. Some people take pictures of everything. Anything that will show you what you ate and drank at the end of the day. Can you promise yourself that and keep that promise?

Is that voice in your head pushing against doing it? Why? What’s the issue? Too much trouble? Too weird? Not useful without full on calorie counting? Not useful without a strict calories deficit? The only purpose is to start a good habit. You can’t have full on calorie counting without knowing what you ate. It’s a start.

How about a daily walk? Do you have time for that? Not a power walk. Not a calorie burner. Just a walk. Can you do that? Just an exercise in promise keeping.

Hope. No one is going to invest much for long in a weight loss plan without hope that it will work. But there is every reason for hope. A long term calorie deficit will get you what you want. The problem that trips most people up is living with it. From now on pick easy goals. Make simple promises. It doesn’t matter how small.

I learned incrementalism at the gym. Unlike my prior weight training efforts, I stuck with this one past week 2. Soon I could feel it working. Not a lot. But working just the same. I was getting stronger. Standing straighter. More grounded. It was undeniable. Then I had the light bulb moment. What separated me from the gym regulars? The people I looked on as having all the willpower and disciple? This- they understood that the program would work. That if we just kept showing up and doing even the most basic routine of sets and reps that it would get the desired results. Same goes for weight loss. You can do this.

PS. Don’t get involved with the calendar. Read this board every day and you’ll soon see how many people wreck themselves over the time factor. Don’t.