A 1 day break in a diet? :(

Options
I've been on a new diet for about a week and a half now. Gone from 1500 calories to 3500 calories. Today though, was the first time I had a break due to circumstances in the day. I have only consume foods that sun up to about 1800 calories. What kind of effect will this have on the diet? Would it be like restarting all over again?

Replies

• andresconejo
    Options
    I think one day doesnt screws your whole progress, however i would hear from a reply from someone more experiencied on the topic, so, BUMP.
  • SRT4twg
    SRT4twg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The way I think about it is like you gave your system too much energy and now its going to have to store some of it. In this case probably as fat in the body. But if you are eating well and working out the rest of the time you will burn through that extra energy fast. It is nearly impossible to stay on a strict eating plan for any length of time if you wont allow yourself to splurge once in a while.
    For example I have one cheat food a week. I cant resist my french fries :) I know other people that do a cheat meal or even a cheat day once a week or once every 2 week. Any of those are fine and wont slow down your progress much.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading this correctly, you are on 1,500 calories a day? And you used to eat around 3,500?

You went over by 300 to 1,800 one day out of the week?

If so, I really think you can relax - you're already probably on a 15%-20% defecit if you did your goal sums through MFP or a TDEE calculator, so your weekly defecit is probably somewhere around 2,100.

That means this week you managed a defecit of 1,800.

That, in my book, is still a very good week!

If you look at these things over the week, rather than the day, you'll soon see that you can have an 'off day' once in a while, its all about balance over time.

Hope this helps - its worked for me :flowerforyou:
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading this correctly, you are on 1,500 calories a day? And you used to eat around 3,500?

If so, I really think you can relax - you're already probably on a 15%-20% defecit if you did your goal sums through MFP or a TDEE calculator, so your weekly defecit is probably somewhere around 2,100.

If you look at these things over the week, rather than the day, you'll soon see that you can have an 'off day' once in a while, its all about balance over time.

Basically this.

Nice to see a post that actually makes sense on these forums too !:)
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I think she's on a diet to GAIN weight. Coming from eating 1,500 to 3.500.

OP-I don't think one day will have any effect, just keep eating at a surplus to continue gaining (;
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It you only 'broke' your diet by 300 extra calories, then I shouldn't think it'll set you back very much.

I've only just started, and am trying to stick to 1,200 calories. Day three was a disaster (friend's wedding) and I ate - and drank - mostly drank - 3,000 calories! However, I'm not going to worry about it, just clock it up to experience. I logged it all, and now I know how easy it is (and that that kind of splurge is probably why I'm overweight in the first place).

Don't worry about speed, or perfection x
  • aquamarinex
    aquamarinex Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    erm did you guys read the other posts by this member? Perhaps you should - something isn't quite right here.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    1 day wont damage you... But I have a question, why'd you suddenly go from 1500 to 3000? Your poor metabolism must be struggling with that sudden increase.
  • 1wweightloss
    Options
    Works for me, I just start the day with a good breakfast then do my long run and eat, so I started a routine of 6 days of good eating, and 1 day of increased calories. A day is a long time to break a habit. Cheat meals provide extra calories and a mental break from dieting that helps you stick.

Providing a cheat day can decrease your chances of falling off your diet program altogether.

http://www.reducciondeestomago.net/