Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How much protein per day?

kayla7303kayla7303 Posts: 127Member Member Posts: 127Member Member
I posted this in food/nutrition, but no one responded. Sorry if it’s off topic, but figured someone here might know too.

Looking for insight as I have read dozens of articles online and the information is either inconclusive, conflicting, or astronomically high.

Here’s a bit about me
Age: 25
Height: 5’4
HW: 265
CW: 208

I had a dexa scan a couple days ago and my lean body mass is 127 pounds (120 muscle, 7 bone)

I want a bf% of 25-30 so ideally my goal weight would be 160-169 if I can retain my lean body mass.

Now I know I should be strength training to help maintain, but I cannot at this time because I just had laparoscopic surgery 3 weeks ago so I have some time before my incisions heal. However, I just started walking at a steep incline on the treadmill for about an hour a day because I know that engages muscles a little. I cannot do the stair climber as it skyrockets my heart rate near the max.

I know losing at a slower rate will help maintain LBM too, so I may up my calories.

Just looking for any information on how much protein I should aim for. I’ve been doing 115-125 per day.

Replies

  • ecjimecjim Posts: 758Member Member Posts: 758Member Member
    A higher protien intake along with a regular weight lifting program will help you retain more muscle mass while you are loosing weight. Wait untill your surgery heals - I am in the same position - just had adominal surgery 2 weeks ago. just do what you can for now.
    I would put your protien higher, maybe 160 gms, that will help retain muscle , 40 gms fat, fill in the rest with what ever- good carbs, veggies & fruit
  • kayla7303kayla7303 Posts: 127Member Member Posts: 127Member Member
    ecjim wrote: »
    A higher protien intake along with a regular weight lifting program will help you retain more muscle mass while you are loosing weight. Wait untill your surgery heals - I am in the same position - just had adominal surgery 2 weeks ago. just do what you can for now.
    I would put your protien higher, maybe 160 gms, that will help retain muscle , 40 gms fat, fill in the rest with what ever- good carbs, veggies & fruit

    This is exactly what I needed and was looking, thank you so much! I hope you’re recovering well! My last abdominal surgery I didn’t take it easy and ended up with a hernia 😂 this time around I’m not taking any chances
  • ecjimecjim Posts: 758Member Member Posts: 758Member Member


    This is exactly what I needed and was looking, thank you so much! I hope you’re recovering well! My last abdominal surgery I didn’t take it easy and ended up with a hernia 😂 this time around I’m not taking any chances
    [/quote]

    You are welcome -I'm glad I could help. The idea is you want to loose fat & keep the muscle - not just loose weight. Keep me posted on your progress.
    I'm taking it easy - I'm up and around , nothing strenous , working on my motorcycle a little & taking naps.
  • kayla7303kayla7303 Posts: 127Member Member Posts: 127Member Member
    ecjim wrote: »

    This is exactly what I needed and was looking, thank you so much! I hope you’re recovering well! My last abdominal surgery I didn’t take it easy and ended up with a hernia 😂 this time around I’m not taking any chances

    You are welcome -I'm glad I could help. The idea is you want to loose fat & keep the muscle - not just loose weight. Keep me posted on your progress.
    I'm taking it easy - I'm up and around , nothing strenous , working on my motorcycle a little & taking naps.[/quote]

    Yeah I definitely will! Thanks again 😊
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 3,398Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,398Member, Premium Member
    0.6 to 0.8g per pound of target body weight is a good place to start for a goal.

    Just as a word of caution. Even with proper strength training and protein intake, some lean mass loss is usually inevitable, especially since lean mass is mostly water. So as you get closer to your goal, don't be surprised if it drops lower than 127. The purpose of strength training and protein is to reduce the amount of lean mass lost, not completely eliminate it.
  • kayla7303kayla7303 Posts: 127Member Member Posts: 127Member Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    0.6 to 0.8g per pound of target body weight is a good place to start for a goal.

    Just as a word of caution. Even with proper strength training and protein intake, some lean mass loss is usually inevitable, especially since lean mass is mostly water. So as you get closer to your goal, don't be surprised if it drops lower than 127. The purpose of strength training and protein is to reduce the amount of lean mass lost, not completely eliminate it.

    Thank you :) I know some will be lost inevitably I just want to reduce it as much as possible to I’m being efficient with my weight loss. I have lost weight many times before but never really the right way and never manageably so that’s my intent now. Thank you for helping 😊😊
  • sijomialsijomial Posts: 15,625Member Member Posts: 15,625Member Member
    kayla7303 wrote: »

    I had a dexa scan a couple days ago and my lean body mass is 127 pounds (120 muscle, 7 bone)

    Lean mass isn't just muscle and bone - it's all non fat tissue.
    Includes blood, skin, connective tissue etc. etc.

    My goal when losing and exercising quite hard was 1g of protein per pound of estimated lean mass.
    More is absolutely fine if it doesn't unbalance your diet, crowd out other nutrition or adversely affect your adherence. But doubt you currently need more than that if your deficit is moderate and your exercise is currently not very intense.
  • kayla7303kayla7303 Posts: 127Member Member Posts: 127Member Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    kayla7303 wrote: »

    I had a dexa scan a couple days ago and my lean body mass is 127 pounds (120 muscle, 7 bone)

    Lean mass isn't just muscle and bone - it's all non fat tissue.
    Includes blood, skin, connective tissue etc. etc.

    My goal when losing and exercising quite hard was 1g of protein per pound of estimated lean mass.
    More is absolutely fine if it doesn't unbalance your diet, crowd out other nutrition or adversely affect your adherence. But doubt you currently need more than that if your deficit is moderate and your exercise is currently not very intense.

    I’m currently not exercising other than walking. My deficit is pretty high but I’m going to up my calories. I just realized my math was off and 30% bf would be 181 not 169 like I thought. But I’m going to aim for 25%

    When you say you doubt I currently need more than that, which number are you referring to? What I’m im currently eating of ~125g?

  • sijomialsijomial Posts: 15,625Member Member Posts: 15,625Member Member
    kayla7303 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    kayla7303 wrote: »

    I had a dexa scan a couple days ago and my lean body mass is 127 pounds (120 muscle, 7 bone)

    Lean mass isn't just muscle and bone - it's all non fat tissue.
    Includes blood, skin, connective tissue etc. etc.

    My goal when losing and exercising quite hard was 1g of protein per pound of estimated lean mass.
    More is absolutely fine if it doesn't unbalance your diet, crowd out other nutrition or adversely affect your adherence. But doubt you currently need more than that if your deficit is moderate and your exercise is currently not very intense.

    I’m currently not exercising other than walking. My deficit is pretty high but I’m going to up my calories. I just realized my math was off and 30% bf would be 181 not 169 like I thought. But I’m going to aim for 25%

    When you say you doubt I currently need more than that, which number are you referring to? What I’m im currently eating of ~125g?

    125 - from what you stated as LBM.

    TBH there's a wide and personal (or at least situational) range.
    Leaner you are higher goals become more important (and vice versa).
    The harder you exercise, the higher your rate of weight loss then gravitate to the higher end.
    edited November 29
  • kayla7303kayla7303 Posts: 127Member Member Posts: 127Member Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    kayla7303 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    kayla7303 wrote: »

    I had a dexa scan a couple days ago and my lean body mass is 127 pounds (120 muscle, 7 bone)

    Lean mass isn't just muscle and bone - it's all non fat tissue.
    Includes blood, skin, connective tissue etc. etc.

    My goal when losing and exercising quite hard was 1g of protein per pound of estimated lean mass.
    More is absolutely fine if it doesn't unbalance your diet, crowd out other nutrition or adversely affect your adherence. But doubt you currently need more than that if your deficit is moderate and your exercise is currently not very intense.

    I’m currently not exercising other than walking. My deficit is pretty high but I’m going to up my calories. I just realized my math was off and 30% bf would be 181 not 169 like I thought. But I’m going to aim for 25%

    When you say you doubt I currently need more than that, which number are you referring to? What I’m im currently eating of ~125g?

    125 - from what you stated as LBM.

    TBH there's a wide and personal (or at least situational) range.
    Leaner you are higher goals become more important (and vice versa).
    The harder you exercise, the higher your rate of weight loss then gravitate to the higher end.

    Thanks! That’s helpful as even getting to 120 is hard for me some days. It’s nice to know that if I can’t get more than that in j should still be okay. Thank you 😊
Sign In or Register to comment.