Holiday Shopping

Options
seltzermint555
seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
Have you started (or maybe even finished) shopping for the holiday(s)?
What sort of things do you buy for the people in your life?
Do you do stocking stuffers? For kids only, or adults too?
How many people do you buy for and exchange gifts?
What would you like to receive this year?
Do you wrap presents or use gift bags?

Any other thoughts related to gift giving...share 'em here!

Replies

• seltzermint555
    Options
    I always start really early, but don't finish up 'til December. I'd say I'm 75% done right now but a lot of that is due to online purchases this week.

I mostly like to buy people practical gifts and consumables. If there's something in particular they ask for, I love that too. I use gift cards as a last resort, and try to make them pretty personal and creative - for example a quaint restaurant in another town that I know they love, not a big box store giftcard.

My husband and I only exchange stocking stuffers. Because of this we get very creative and spend a lot more (I think) than would be typical for stocking stuffers...for example candy from other countries, concert or play tickets, gadgets, watch, t-shirt, etc. Nothing over the top expensive but around $100-150 or a little more than that. We don't get each other any other gifts though.

I also do stocking stuffers for my senior mom but it's more typical small items...cocoa, a paperback book, earrings.

I don't have kids in my life that I buy for, so it's all adults. We just buy for 7 people. My mom, dad, stepmom, stepsister & brother-in-law, and our best friends (a married couple). I'd say we spend between $40-120 on each person and sometimes a little more if doing a couple gift like tickets to a live show for my dad & stepmom.

For Christmas I like to wrap gifts, always have. No gift bags.

There's honestly nothing I want for Christmas this year personally. Usually I have some sort of thing in mind like a new perfume or housewares, but not this year. I wouldn't mind a gift card to Tropical Smoothie Cafe or First Watch (brunch chain)...or local coffee shops.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Please please respond, someone! I'm dying to hear about others' habits.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I usually like shopping for the kids in the family, but this year I'm struggling for ideas.

I buy for 8 kids, aged 1-11, 1 adult gift in a family gift draw (~$50), 2 gifts for the "stealing game" (one for work, one for another family x-mas party ~$20 each), my brother and I basically exchange gift cards and I buy for my mom and stepfather.

One side of the family likes to do stocking stuffers...well the older generations do. My cousins, brother and I do not - it gets too expensive. I think this year I'm just going to do stocking stuff for the kids and my mom.

I do like to get it done as early as I can, was waiting until this weekend tho to actually purchase (I'm all about getting a good "deal", even if it's really not!).

I love wrapping presents too, and doing it slowly throughout the month, with a glass of wine in the evening. I have fun doing it.

I use gift bags as well. This year I found some cute craft paper bags for the kid gifts...I just have to figure what to put in them!

The actual family celebrations get a bit loud for me, I often have to "take breaks", go outside or something. The shopping and wrapping are my favourite part of the holidays - not the actual holiday.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    We don't finish shopping normally until right before Christmas.

I wrap and my wife annually gets peeved because she and our oldest daughter say I've got mad wrapping skills and they don't understand how a dude can be that good at it.

Not even sure how that happened, but I'm ok at it I guess. 😂🤣

We use a combo of gift bags and wrap.

We do stocking stuffers for the kids for the morning of. Normally just their favorites + a movie and something special.

I've been doing concert tix for each member of our immediate family (an intentionally chosen show for each at an intentional location - close or otherwise) for several years now so there's now an expectation of sorts. Music is a big thing in our family.

This year is going to be a bit different as the kids last year wanted to travel for the holiday. We explained that would mean downsizing on the gifts for sure and they wanted to be somewhere cool.

We're doing the week before Christmas in an AirBnb in Estes Park.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    • Almost Finished... just a couple more little things to pick-up
    • I just bought my dear old mother a new computer
    • Stocking Stuffers happen for everyone.... even our dog
    • How many? 5 or 6 different people
    • I would give you an honest answer... but this is a family oriented forum.
    • FedEx packing is perfect. Just place the gift in the box or envelope and fill out the airbill as the gift tag.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I've definitely started, maybe 80% done? Or maybe I'm fooling myself
    Bought my dad a recliner. Friends I usually do a selection of small, hopefully thoughtful gifts.
    No stockings. I only have adults to buy for.
    Not many. My dad, SO, four good friends, my five clerks, and another lady who helps me out with work stuff.
    No idea. It's been years since I've thought in terms of "what I'd like to receive"
    Usually gift bags
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I usually like shopping for the kids in the family, but this year I'm struggling for ideas.

I buy for 8 kids, aged 1-11, 1 adult gift in a family gift draw (~$50), 2 gifts for the "stealing game" (one for work, one for another family x-mas party ~$20 each), my brother and I basically exchange gift cards and I buy for my mom and stepfather.

One side of the family likes to do stocking stuffers...well the older generations do. My cousins, brother and I do not - it gets too expensive. I think this year I'm just going to do stocking stuff for the kids and my mom.

I do like to get it done as early as I can, was waiting until this weekend tho to actually purchase (I'm all about getting a good "deal", even if it's really not!).

I love wrapping presents too, and doing it slowly throughout the month, with a glass of wine in the evening. I have fun doing it.

I use gift bags as well. This year I found some cute craft paper bags for the kid gifts...I just have to figure what to put in them!

The actual family celebrations get a bit loud for me, I often have to "take breaks", go outside or something. The shopping and wrapping are my favourite part of the holidays - not the actual holiday.

I could wrap presents all day long! I love it too. I usually take a break in the evening and wrap things the minute they arrive (online shopping) or as soon as I come home from the store if doing in-store shopping.

Our family celebrations are so small that I don't mind them. When I was younger though, we got together with a much larger group of extended family and I can definitely understand getting away from the madness.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    cdubks88 wrote: »
    We don't finish shopping normally until right before Christmas.

I wrap and my wife annually gets peeved because she and our oldest daughter say I've got mad wrapping skills and they don't understand how a dude can be that good at it.

Not even sure how that happened, but I'm ok at it I guess. 😂🤣

We use a combo of gift bags and wrap.

We do stocking stuffers for the kids for the morning of. Normally just their favorites + a movie and something special.

I've been doing concert tix for each member of our immediate family (an intentionally chosen show for each at an intentional location - close or otherwise) for several years now so there's now an expectation of sorts. Music is a big thing in our family.

This year is going to be a bit different as the kids last year wanted to travel for the holiday. We explained that would mean downsizing on the gifts for sure and they wanted to be somewhere cool.

We're doing the week before Christmas in an AirBnb in Estes Park.

Your getaway to Estes Park has me a bit jealous! That's awesome.

I first read "intentional location" as international location and I thought, whoa, that's gotta be really expensive to figure out all the travel plans etc. haha

I love it that you're good at wrapping gifts...no reason a man can't do it! I think my dad's pretty good at it, actually. My stepmom has always "made him" do it and he's gotten pretty good. If left to his own devices, my husband would just go with all gift bags and probably no tissue paper in them.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I've definitely started, maybe 80% done? Or maybe I'm fooling myself
    Bought my dad a recliner. Friends I usually do a selection of small, hopefully thoughtful gifts.
    No stockings. I only have adults to buy for.
    Not many. My dad, SO, four good friends, my five clerks, and another lady who helps me out with work stuff.
    No idea. It's been years since I've thought in terms of "what I'd like to receive"
    Usually gift bags

I didn't even think of adding questions about work colleagues, employees, or other people that you may buy for. I don't do any of that, I must say. In my office we've all sort of agreed to avoid it and I certainly don't mind that...makes things easier! I don't even gift or tip mail carrier or even our lawn service at holidays - but I definitely would if I "knew" the people (by name or sight)...in our area it's always different people doing those things over the course of each year, sometimes even from week to week.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    • Almost Finished... just a couple more little things to pick-up
    • I just bought my dear old mother a new computer
    • Stocking Stuffers happen for everyone.... even our dog
    • How many? 5 or 6 different people
    • I would give you an honest answer... but this is a family oriented forum.
    • FedEx packing is perfect. Just place the gift in the box or envelope and fill out the airbill as the gift tag.

When I had pets, I always did stocking stuffers for them too! I think that's awesome.

Good for you buying your mother a computer, too. I'm getting my mom a Keurig even though I know she's going to absolutely hate it within a couple of months. She's talked about wanting one for ages.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I have a huge family and am nowhere near finished shopping. Got the stuff that has to be shipped, just have to ship it.

I try to simplify things for myself. The adults on my side draw names which makes it easier. The older nieces and nephews get cash or gift cards. The younger ones I send their parents money and they do the shopping for me. There are a couple of dozen nieces and nephews (and greats and great greats).

My sister's family celebrates Hanukkah so I buy half a dozen small gifts for that party.

I buy a couple of small gifts for the two other people in my office. And chocolates for a couple of older family members.

My husband I do gifts for each other, usually around $100. When we can we like to travel on Christmas Day for a short vacation (come back the 30th), but we haven't been able to do that in a couple of years.

Use a combination of gift bags and wrapping. I prefer gift bags - I'm a terrible wrapper.

And for Christmas, I want someone else to do all that for me. :D
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Normally I love holiday shopping and wrapping gifts and such, but this year I’m only buying for a few people. I haven’t even started.
  • lintvar85
    lintvar85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started Christmas shopping. I bought Christmas scented wax melts, winter spice scented candle, oil, two Passions planners, and two chocolate advent calendars. I also purchased 7 bottles of wine. :D It's a start!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    lintvar85 wrote: »
    I started Christmas shopping. I bought Christmas scented wax melts, winter spice scented candle, oil, two Passions planners, and two chocolate advent calendars. I also purchased 7 bottles of wine. :D It's a start!

I wish I knew more people who drank/enjoyed wine. Last night while shopping I saw some really pretty gift boxes for wine and they were very affordable. Unfortunately though I don't! I mostly know a lot of teetotalers and craft beer/bourbon fans. And some of the bourbon is way too pricey for me.

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

I wish I knew more people who drank/enjoyed wine. Last night while shopping I saw some really pretty gift boxes for wine and they were very affordable. Unfortunately though I don't! I mostly know a lot of teetotalers and craft beer/bourbon fans. And some of the bourbon is way too pricey for me.

I use wine boxes for other stuff. Last year my sister got socks stuffed in a wine box. One year my nephew (who was saving up for something) got $100 individually wrapped $1 bills in a wine box. That one was fun.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

I use wine boxes for other stuff. Last year my sister got socks stuffed in a wine box. One year my nephew (who was saving up for something) got $100 individually wrapped $1 bills in a wine box. That one was fun.

Excellent idea! I don't know why I've never thought of this.

• mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    I've got my family figured out. Now to figure out my aunt and cousin...
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have over 30 people to buy for - ugh! I like to shop when I can think of something thoughtful to give, but more often than not, I end up wandering around a store aimlessly waiting for ideas to jump out at me. I love to wrap, if I have the time, but not when it's Christmas eve and I still have 10 presents to wrap. That's when the gift bags usually come out. Sure wish my husband's family would pick names instead of buying for everybody! I really do enjoy the Christmas season, I just wish I could take it down a notch!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Mostly it's about the kids. Wife and I do stocking stuffers for each other and typically there is something we're needing/wanting for the house that we get as our big Christmas present...this year is a new dishwasher.

Kids stocking stuffers are from Santa...the cool *kitten* is from us...that dude isn't getting credit for my eldest boy's compound bow and my youngest boys drum set.

Extended family usually gets a nice bottle of wine, or a gift card to a nice local restaurant or something.

My boys are 9 and 7, so really everyone is pretty much all in on the kids.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My shopping is done, but I'm still waiting on some to arrive in the mail (Amazon is my bff)

I have 3 kids so each of them gets 4-6 gifts. This year I am surprising them with a trip in March so I'm telling them at Christmas time as I'm considering it part of their Christmas. I have my brother, SIL and their 3 young boys. I bought from Amazon and it got mailed directly to their house. I have my mom and dad and they usually get an Edible Arrangement I bring with me to their house as the kids and I stay with them for a few days around Christmas so we all enjoy the fruit. 1 secret santa gift for the extended family white elephant game.

My 3 kids get stocking suffer, things like candy, small toys, gift card. They each make me something, make a card or draw a picture and that goes in my stocking as my gift. :smile: My parents give all of us stocking stuffers and it's always money.

My 3 kids and 7 family members and 1 white elephant gift.

I make an Amazon wish list and my family buys off there - some kitchen items and a new wall storage container thingies.

Mixture of both. My kids get toys wrapped and typically all the "boring" stuff like clothes in one big bag each.