What are the best shoes to squat/ deadlift in?

Options
I’m sorry if this has already been asked, but does wearing flat shoes make a difference for leg day? I always wear Nike Air Max 270’s(pictured here) and am wondering if having the arch affects form/muscle building progress? fn8fc1yzn62p.jpeg

Replies

• MarissaRiv23
    MarissaRiv23 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    The Air Max shoes shown are probably some of the worst shoes you could pick for squats and deadlifts. You want something with minimal heal raise and minimal cushioning.

Think Chuck Taylors, wrestling shoes, New Balance Minimus, etc.

Best of luck.
    Chucks, flat shoes or oly shoes.

You don’t want all that cushion. Imagine squatting, standing on a cloud. You don’t want that.

I will start wearing my Chucks. Thanks for the advice!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually just wear old running shoes that have all the cushion worn down from mileage.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Chucks are a great choice - There are Olynpic squat shoes with an elevated heel if that works better for you. As the others have said those Nike's are too soft & squishy, avoid running or athletic shoes. I squat barefoot - but that's at home.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I actually squat in different shoes than I deadlift in. I do minimal cushion for deadlifts, and wear weightlifting shoes for heavy squats. For me, the extra bit of mobility I get from the weight lifting shoes is really important for getting a full range of motion. The unique thing about lifting shoes compared to sneakers is that the elevated heel is firm material, so it doesn't squish down in the way a running shoe's heel would. I think my shoes are Adidas Powerlift 3.1. If you find that you get your full range of motion easily enough in your Chucks then don't bother with expensive lifting shoes.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i love reebok nanos.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Barefoot at home or barefoot style shoes at the gym for me.
  • Neverquit67
    Neverquit67 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I like the Nike Metcon 7
  • miamicatracho
    miamicatracho Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nike metcon are very firm for great power transfer. They are almost too firm to do any type of mobility work so i use vivo primus
  • angela_boinkers
    angela_boinkers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wear Adidas sambas but will probably end up buying adidas powerlift or Nike metcons.