Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

b12 shots

Thoughts on B-12 shots ? I've heard a million different things. What are yall's thoughts on them. I hate getting shots but if it'll help overall mood and recovery from weight lifting.... I've also heard it just creates expensive pee lol

Replies

• jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    anyone.... anyone....
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    I get them monthly, but only because I"m missing the portion of intestine that absorbs B12.....but I can't imagine why anyone would want to get them if they didn't need them? I don't notice a boost of energy or anything after getting mine, and my B12 is low.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    i also get them every 3 weeks b/c my body doesn't adsorb it. not sure how it woudl help with weight loss? hasn't made a difference on me?
  • my dad had to get b12 and has been getting b12 shots for the last 10 years because they had to take out of a piece of his intestine that is needed to absorb this vitamin. He hates them. If you really want more b12, just take b12 and b6 daily vitamins. It's still the same thing but you dont need to get poked with a needle.
  • chrisaroo123
    chrisaroo123 Posts: 3 Member
    B12 is a great thing for the body! and injection increases the absorption to 75% whereas the pills only give you 40%. you can gain improvement in these areas... fatigue,drowsiness, headaches, irritability, moodiness, nervousness, constipation, digestive disorders.. to name a few... ive done them before and i loved them!!!
  • Have you had your B12 levels checked?

I'm doing B12 shots because I have trouble absorbing it, and my levels were low. They don't hurt, and they aren't a big deal, but I don't know why you would do them unless you have to.

If your levels are good, I don't think you'll gain anything. Under 200 is deficient, and my doctor said that research shows that you can have symptoms under 400, but if you're above that your body can absorb it, so you might as well do oral supplements.

B12 is water soluble, so as far as I know you can't get toxic levels, but I think shots when your levels are fine are unnecessary.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    As a vegan, I take a b12 supplement. I've heard of b12 shots but have yet to seriously consider this as an option, I'd rather take a supplement.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    I also have the problem of not being able to absorb B12. Intestine surgery here too. I was getting the shots but did not notice a whole lot from them.

Then I found a liquid form that you can order on line. It also has folic acid and has a nice raspberry flavor. Have not had a problem with levels since.

I've noticed I don't get sick much anymore. I did notice that it helped my weight loss...maybe because I had more energy and was able to exercise more. My moods balanced out and I feel better then I have in a long time.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Unless you have pernicious anemia and can't absorb B12 though the gut, there isn't a reason to get shots. Even taking supplements, oral or otherwise, it's a water-soluble vitamin, so you're going to pee most of it out, since you can only absorb a finite amount.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    I also have the problem of not being able to absorb B12. Intestine surgery here too. I was getting the shots but did not notice a whole lot from them.

Then I found a liquid form that you can order on line. It also has folic acid and has a nice raspberry flavor. Have not had a problem with levels since.

I've noticed I don't get sick much anymore. I did notice that it helped my weight loss...maybe because I had more energy and was able to exercise more. My moods balanced out and I feel better then I have in a long time.

really there is a liquid form that tastes like raspberry? would it just as strong as the injected kind ? or just like a pill form?
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    I get them monthly, but only because I"m missing the portion of intestine that absorbs B12.....but I can't imagine why anyone would want to get them if they didn't need them? I don't notice a boost of energy or anything after getting mine, and my B12 is low.

Really? My mom's B12 was dangerously low for a while years ago and she was getting B12 shots weekly for a couple months (eventually being weaned to bi-weekly, then monthly and eventually off completely). Whenever she got her shot she had a surplus of energy and would be up all night for the first night. She was full of energy! If I reacted that way, I would LOVE to have a B12 shot once in a while!
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    I just got my first one today. I am B12 anemic. I was taking the pills, but my naturopath thought the injection would be better... I have also had some issues with depression etc, so can't hurt to try right. ;)
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Are vitamin B-12 injections helpful for weight loss?
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    No, they are not.

They do have some affect if you have been run down and lethargic because of undiagnosed pernicious aneamia or surgery, but that is just because once your levels are back up you can stay awake for longer and move more.

If you are not ill and have normal levels then you would simply pee out whatever supplement you took, no matter how you took it. Anyone who experiences a change either had undiagnosed low levels of B12, has made other positive changes to their lifestyle or is experiencing the placebo effect!
  • abbyolurin1
    Thank you!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    I seem to be in full on teacher mode, abby. I just read my post back and I sound so very sour!

Sorry! :)
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member

Really? My mom's B12 was dangerously low for a while years ago and she was getting B12 shots weekly for a couple months (eventually being weaned to bi-weekly, then monthly and eventually off completely). Whenever she got her shot she had a surplus of energy and would be up all night for the first night. She was full of energy! If I reacted that way, I would LOVE to have a B12 shot once in a while!

I've heard other people say the same thing, that they get a boost of energy. I'm not lucky enough to react that way lol. I wish i did, I get my shot monday and I could use some extra energy.
  • I have pernicious anemia so I have had to get them ( i dont have enough small intestine to absorb B12 from the food I eat). I havent noticed a change in my lifting after i get an injection ...
    i only notice a difference when i havent had an injection for a while because i feel like i am hungover all the time.
  • abbyolurin1
    I seem to be in full on teacher mode, abby. I just read my post back and I sound so very sour!

Sorry! :)

Lol, not sour, just informative :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    My grandmother and mother both have to get them. The woman in our family have issues as they age with absorbing it. (no surgery) I suspect I will have to eventually but it didn't help my mom lose weight it just made her have "normal" energy and she stopped gaining because she could get up and go out for her walk.

As with everything unless it's been perscribed by a doctor I wouldn't do it.