Help with figuring out how much exercise to do

Options
Hello. I was here awhile back and had lost 16 lbs. Life got busy again and I gained 6 lb back. I am now back on track and actually got a gym membership for the first time. I am not so concerned about the 6 lbs back but i have a goal of losing about 10 more lbs. i used to do the treadmill and weights before. I have some how increased the width in my shoulder. I measure weekly. I am wondering if anyone has insight on this. I am 40 ish with some premenopausal symptoms so wonderong if that could be a reason.
Wondering if someone can guide me as to what machines i shouls be doing. Want to target uper body- shoulders and chest if possible. Id like to spend an hour at the gym every day but want to spend the time well. Pls advise. Also i am trying out yoga. Kind of liking it. Not great for weight loss but how many days should i do yoga? Thanks for your help wise friends here!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Exercise is primarily for health andfitness, not weight loss. Do the amount of exercise that you enjoy and that fits your schedule. The usual guideline is 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise each week for health, but you can do more if you want and if it doesn't cause pain or injury. Some people do yoga once or twice a week. Some do it every day. Some walk or run 3 - 5 days a week. Others do it every day.
  • crwoodry1
    crwoodry1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the more u exercise you do the you can eat just walking is a good about 3miles per hour
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Am I understanding that your shoulder width is greater so you want to do more shoulder exercises to make it smaller? That doesn’t work that way. In fact, the opposite is true. You can’t spot reduce fat - think of it as trying to drive using just the gallon of gas in the left front side of your gas tank. It won’t work, the gas is taken from wherever. However, you can spot target muscles with exercise to make them grow larger. If you concentrate on shoulder exercises you will have larger shoulders.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Exercise is primarily for health andfitness, not weight loss. Do the amount of exercise that you enjoy and that fits your schedule. The usual guideline is 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise each week for health, but you can do more if you want and if it doesn't cause pain or injury. Some people do yoga once or twice a week. Some do it every day. Some walk or run 3 - 5 days a week. Others do it every day.

It's 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic exercise a week and at least 2 resistance training sessions that hit all bodyparts.