BMR vs. TDEE

Options
I started my journey about 2-3 weeks ago and have gone from 402.7 down to 393.4. Sounds great but I'm concerned about losing too much too fast. I want to lose slow and steady since 1) I don't want loose skin (or as little as possible), 2) I want to keep it around 2 lb. per week loss, 3) I'm confused if I should keep my calories under my BMR or under TDEE. I'm a 5'10", 59 year old male. I'm also slowly starting into DDP Yoga and want to add weight work for overall health. I'm working under a 'fewer calories in than expended* produces weight loss (i.e. not making major changes to diet). I have substituted stevia for sugar and am trying to keep my macros under control (especially carbs). So do I use the base BMR for calories or the more expansive TDEE which might give me as much as 800 more calories per day? Help!!!

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    What he said.
    Start watching the scale today. The first 2 weeks or so, your body is adjusting to your new way of eating, so your rate of weight loss may not be representative of your long term weight journey.

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on getting things underway. I started DDP Yoga in 2012 and really benefited from it, though I didn't continue with it. It didn't help with weight loss but man did it help a LOT with flexibility, strength and general well being. I love the DDP videos. Needless to say, as the videos demonstrate superbly well, people who get seriously into DDP Yoga do achieve significant weight loss benefits too, I just didn't push myself hard enough with it to burn fat. But it's very possible to do. Plus, I like DDP's whole vibe.

Anyway ...

OK, you are not losing weight too fast. When you are very heavy, the first 2-3 weeks of dieting entail massive scale weight drop, and this continues at a slightly slower but still somewhat unusually fast pace for a total of 5-6 weeks. Around week 6, the pace of scale weight reduction will slow to a crawl and a lot of people get demoralized at that point because they secretly thought or hoped they had it nailed - eat less and lose 4-5 pounds per week. Nope. Doesn't work that way, ever. Your 3-4 lbs per week for the first 2-3 weeks is completely normal. Most of that is water. When you start dieting, the water your body is retaining to balance the carbs and sodium is gradually rebalanced since you're not taking in as much carbs and sodium as you were before dieting. Eventually around week 6 everything will be in balance and then you will then be on a long, slow, challenging grind to lose weight. So ... enjoy the quick, easy part while it lasts and don't worry. You are not losing fat too fast. Scale weight and fat loss are two different things. If you go out and binge for one night, all but around 4-ish pounds you lost will come right back, because only 4-ish pounds of fat have been lost; the rest is just water and doesn't matter.

Moving along ...

BMR is the amount of calories you burn doing absolutely nothing. In other words, it's how many calories you'd burn if you were in a coma, to keep your heart pumping, basic metabolic processes going, etc. It is not a useful number to work with because it's theoretical and abstract - no one burns just their BMR. Its only purpose is to provide a baseline number that can then be multiplied by a coefficient to estimate "actual" calorie burn.

TDEE is just that - an estimate of how many calories you actually burn per day, based on multiplying your BMR by a coefficient, usually 1.25 if you're sedentary, or higher if you're more active. Very obese people usually fit into the "sedentary" category pretty well.

So for instance, if your BMR is 2,000 and you're sedentary, your TDEE might be estimated at 1.25 * 2000 or 2500. Note that word "estimated". TDEE is just an estimate, although as it turns out, often a very good one. Your exact TDEE will be specific to you and the only way to nail it down with precision would be to weigh yourself for 6+ weeks while monitoring every single calorie going into your mouth. Then you'd have the requisite data set to calculate your TDEE. Most people don't do this and rely on the estimates from sites like tdeecalculator.net, which are surprisingly accurate!

To put this all in perspective, TDEEcalculator.net says my TDEE is 2434 based on my age, gender, weight, height, and "Sedentary" activity level. My actual calculated TDEE based on my own Excel spreadsheet and my maniacal bordering on OCD data logging and number crunching is 2451. In other words, the calculator site is within 1 % of my actual data, just 17 calories off, which is quite incredible when you think about it.

The best thing you could do to get the ball rolling would be to go to the MFP Goals tab, enter your gender, age, weight, height, activity level, and tell it you want to lose 2 lbs per week, and see what number it gives you. Whatever number it spits out, eat that, and you'll lose 2 pounds per week, plus or minus 10 %. In my case, their goal calories have been DEAD ON for 2 lbs per week for over six months!!!

You can save yourself all the heavy lifting and eliminate any and all confusion by letting MFP do the work of coming up with your calorie target, so that's the way to go. Then the important part becomes complying with it day in and day out. Try not to take cheat meals or off days, and don't go over or under the calorie target - get as close as you can to it, as often as possible, and you'll get the results you want.
  • kecward78
    kecward78 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank each of you that replied already. I was able to take a bit (at least) from each of you and incorporate it into a plan. Most likely, I will just allow MFP to set it up and, with my FitBit, use it to track and adjust as we go. Thanks again!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kecward78 wrote: »
    I just wanted to thank each of you that replied already. I was able to take a bit (at least) from each of you and incorporate it into a plan. Most likely, I will just allow MFP to set it up and, with my FitBit, use it to track and adjust as we go. Thanks again!

Sounds like the perfect plan! I found it takes about 5-6 weeks to settle into a somewhat regular weekly loss rate. First you lose a lot (much of it water), then your body may need to add back in some of that water because it dropped too much so you go a week or two with no loss, them you start losing at a fairly normal rate. You are losing fat the entire time. If you take the first 6 weeks and average out your weekly loss, it usually ends up pretty close to projected. If you are still losing faster than you are comfortable with, make the necessary adjustments.