Should I use electric BMI weight or regular one

Options
Should I use the electric BMI Fitbit scale to check my weight or use the regular scale I have at home?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    BMI is just a calculation: weight in kg/(height in meters)^2. You can do it by hand, use one of the many online calculators, or have a device do it for you. Assuming neither device has problems like poor calibration or being on an uneven surface, the BMI calculation should match or come very close to matching.

When weighing, you should just try to weigh yourself in as consistent conditions as possible: same scale in the same location, same time of day, etc.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    It's not a question of one or the other.

You need weigh yourself on a reliable scale to measure and monitor your actual wt to determine if your wt loss and/or maintenance efforts are or have been successful or not over time.

I log everything I eat and weigh myself daily for this purpose. Others log and weigh themselves less frequently for their own reasons but IMO, the less frequently you do these things, the lower the accuracy/reliability in your database and the more difficult it will be to act upon undesired changes in your wt

The BMI calculation was designed to determine one's risk for heart/coronary disease, diabetes and other health problems associated w/excess wt and obesity.

BMI does not chg as rapidly as your actual wt and does not need to be calculated as frequently as your actual wt. It only needs to be calculated again, if you've lost or gained a significant amt of wt, or once every 2-3 months if you prefer to do it on a regular schedule.

If you are weighing yourself on a scale regularly, you will already know if your BMI is going up or down because your BMI will vary in direct relationship w/your actual wt

Furthermore, BMI is not necessarily designed to determine what a "healthy" or "ideal" wt for you would be and, while it can be reassuring to know that your are in the "normal" range for your ht and wt, this doesn't mean that you may not still have some health problems.

So, the most important things to do to control your wt are to log everything you eat and weigh yourself on a scale under similar conditions daily and make adjustments to achieve your wt loss and/or maintenance goals, as necessary.

Good luck doing that
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,888 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Are you talking about bio-impedence analysis?

The pulse of electricity used to determine your fat level?

It tends to be wildly inaccurate under the best circumstances.

Additionally the first Aria (not sure about the second) used a novel method to generate the pulse not used widely by other manufacturers at that time but allowing them to achieve a mirror like look. In my opinion the first aria's BIA (bio-impedence analysis) implementation was even more unpredictable than your average other scale's

However as a scale the aria has four force sensors, one in each foot, and until your second or third attempt to weigh yourself in a row does not implement fake consistency. As a scale I like it -- assuming I haven't triggered the fake consistency setting (fake consistency being something employed by the vast vast vast majority of scales that show the same number during consecutive weigh ins)