How long should you stick to a workout programme?

Options
When I joined the gym almost 2 weeks ago, I was given a plan to follow by the instructor. I intend to follow it for the 10 weeks until I get reassessed. I do feel it making some very subtle changes to my stomach and behind already. Plus I'm losing weight. So I'm pretty happy with it even if there's a couple of exercises I dislike doing (because they take effort...). After that, I'm on my own unless I want to pay for a training session so I've got my eye on a 3 day a week full body workout from muscle and strength.com.

Thing is, how long should I stay on the initial programme? Do I just keep doing it (upping the weights) until I stop seeing results?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how good the program is and if it has progressions built into it. You should not be doing weighted exercises the exact same weight or sets and reps for the entire 10 weeks. Its hard to give advice when we don't know what the program is.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As long as you are progressing with it and still enjoying it, there is no time limit on a program unless your goals change.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    it's 10 mins cardio warm up, then:
    3 x 10 knee press ups
    3 x 10 barbell deadlifts
    3 x max russian twists
    3 x 10 sandbag deadlifts
    10 x 20 secs high knees, 10 secs rest
    3 x 10 bodyweight squats
    10 x forward lunge/backwards lunge (both legs)
    Finished by 20 mins cardio (I increase the speed or resistance after each 5 mins gone)

This is 3 days a week, paired with one yoga session a week. Durations/ weights/resistance are already moving up.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Why two kinds of deadlifts? Can you do barbell deadlifts, squats, bench? Your routine is missing something like rows and OHP/shoulder press of any kind. You don't necessarily need to do cardio in your strength program. You can do them separately, which would help you improve in both areas and allow for recovery in between.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can only get to the gym 4 days per week. I quite like the mixed 3 days of cardio/strength. I'm ultimately going to start training for a marathon come the Spring so cardio on tired legs isn't a bad thing for me. The sandbag is more of a row as I pull it up to my chest from shin level. I agree about the shoulder thing though. I'll add in a press.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of training long term.

You could switch right now and get pretty much the same results since you are novel to lifting.

Switch or continue. Either is fine.