What happens if you eat 900 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, keep doing what you've been doing, slow and steady wins the race. And look how far you've come!
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Wow... the mods have not locked this one yet? Slacking mods...

Two possible reasons
    1. She's asking a question, not advocating VLCD
    2. No one has reported it so they have not seen it

Thank you!! 🤨🤧
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Likely to lead to an eating disorder or even worse, depression, if not done in a sustainable manner OP. Like others mentioned, if you choose to continue VLCD for an extended period of time, please consult with your doctor, and schedule follow-up visits.

With that being said, I actually utilized a similiar VLCD program (1000 calories per day) for 6 weeks with the goal of getting shredded (sub 8%) while maintaining a social life..... markers and checkpoints i put in place:

1. Bi-weekly physical with thyroid check
    2. 2 social days a week, one planned for maintenance where i enjoyed alcohol/subpar nutritional meals (2200 calories) and another day not tracking anything, complete freedom from caloric goals for the day.
    3. Both days involved physical activity outside normal life (work, etc,) one was a 35 minute cardio session, the other was a full body workout session (roughly 45 minutes).

Each day, i ate a meal of 2 large chicken breasts with apple whiskey sauce, steamed mixed veggies, and a small package of cashews...only planned meal for the day (OMAD=One Meal A Day) diet. This took place at 8:30am, 6 days a week. Throughout the remainder of each day was mostly flavored sparkling water and coffee.

This felt strangely comfortable and easy to stick to, knowing i had more than just one day to ease up a bit. I was able to stay on track of roughly 1.2 to 1.4 pounds lost per week.

However, I would never recommend this to anyone as a solid program, quite risky actually. There are much healthier, sustainable diets to get the results you are looking for.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I think the most likely scenario is that you manage to eat 900 calories a day for about 3 days. Then break and binge on about 3500 calories, then 'get back on the wagon' for a day and eat 900 calories followed by a 2 day binge of 3500 calories each day before deciding to be 'REALLY motivated this time; and stick to 900 calories for the next 2 days only to decide that its all too hard and give up.

So aiming for 900 calories a day is likely to result in a "diet" where you're real calorie intake is close to 2300 calories per day that lasts for 2 weeks before you just go back to old habits.

And that can also happen with 1200 calories for women who are not very very short and sedentary:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    OP - I'm glad you see (now) that this is not a good idea.

Just to add because I didn't see it mentioned. Even if this were okay for a person's current statistics.....they are not do-it-yourself plans. Doctor prescribed, doctor managed, usually a set of medical conditions.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss so far, you've done a really good job. You're losing at a very reasonable rate. Faster isn't better.
  • fitnessguy266
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Likely to lead to an eating disorder or even worse, depression, if not done in a sustainable manner OP. I would never recommend this to anyone as a solid program, quite risky actually. There are much healthier, sustainable diets to get the results you are looking for.

Fixed your post for you.

While an interesting concept, your almost 1400 Calories ON AVERAGE a day 6 week diet to lose 8lbs to get shredded is not quite directly applicable to someone who is still overweight and on her way to the healthy weight range after losing steadily and successfully for a good year. i.e. not starting from a position of maintenance and NOT looking for time limited results

Your results, as presented, also argue that your TDEE at the time was around 2000 which sounds fairly low for a guy, and if correct, would mean you suffered significant adaptive thermogenesis during your 8lb loss in 6 weeks. <-- while this may have been OK for you due to the short time frame in question, how would it play out beneficially for someone who is in it for the much longer haul?

And if we take a couple of your lbs to be glycogen reduction, which would brings the caloric value of your loss down closer to 500 Cal a day, the argument could be made that either your average intake was even higher than 1400 or that you had an exceptionally low TDEE of less than 2K for a guy at that time, i.e. even more adaptation.

An interesting idea for the bodybuilding forum perhaps; but, if implemented by the OP or anyone in her position, rife to result in binge and restrict eating behaviour and exacerbate the plenty enough to go around side effects that people tend to experience by the end of caloric restriction.

Myself, the OP, and people in our position who start well in the obese range need to develop new tools and habits during our weight loss if we want to come close to maintaining that loss. This cannot be short circuited other than by hiring a whole bunch of professionals to help us do the work faster than we can on our own via trial and error and reflection and the accumulation of small changes over time.

Unless we are in an A-B study that offers that level of counselling, nutritional, and exercise support and ongoing post weight loss follow ups for a few years, we get to muddle on our own, and that takes time :wink:

Very impressive how you quantified that down to specific details/processes! Being a shorter guy (5"6) i based my calculations using a Leangains calculator, and past experiences/results. The bodily processes in regards to weight loss was very educational to the uninformed, and one would conclude from your post you have a good handle in that area. Again, i highly advise against the approach i took, even if I personally found it comfortable and sustainable. Godspeed to you in your goals.
  • fitnessguy266
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Likely to lead to an eating disorder or even worse, depression, if not done in a sustainable manner OP. I would never recommend this to anyone as a solid program, quite risky actually. There are much healthier, sustainable diets to get the results you are looking for.

Fixed your post for you.

While an interesting concept, your almost 1400 Calories ON AVERAGE a day 6 week diet to lose 8lbs to get shredded is not quite directly applicable to someone who is still overweight and on her way to the healthy weight range after losing steadily and successfully for a good year. i.e. not starting from a position of maintenance and NOT looking for time limited results

Your results, as presented, also argue that your TDEE at the time was around 2000 which sounds fairly low for a guy, and if correct, would mean you suffered significant adaptive thermogenesis during your 8lb loss in 6 weeks. <-- while this may have been OK for you due to the short time frame in question, how would it play out beneficially for someone who is in it for the much longer haul?

And if we take a couple of your lbs to be glycogen reduction, which would brings the caloric value of your loss down closer to 500 Cal a day, the argument could be made that either your average intake was even higher than 1400 or that you had an exceptionally low TDEE of less than 2K for a guy at that time, i.e. even more adaptation.

An interesting idea for the bodybuilding forum perhaps; but, if implemented by the OP or anyone in her position, rife to result in binge and restrict eating behaviour and exacerbate the plenty enough to go around side effects that people tend to experience by the end of caloric restriction.

Myself, the OP, and people in our position who start well in the obese range need to develop new tools and habits during our weight loss if we want to come close to maintaining that loss. This cannot be short circuited other than by hiring a whole bunch of professionals to help us do the work faster than we can on our own via trial and error and reflection and the accumulation of small changes over time.

Unless we are in an A-B study that offers that level of counselling, nutritional, and exercise support and ongoing post weight loss follow ups for a few years, we get to muddle on our own, and that takes time :wink:

I agree with the binge rollercoaster that occurs 90% of the time with this method of dieting as well, for me (on Sundays) this behavior after alcohol consumption was an expectation, but never went wildly over to the point where i closed the gap in weight loss efforts accumulated through the week. In hindsight, preparation for that one day outside of my maintenance made it that much worth it....

another disclaimer of not advocating VLCD, have you....just sharing.