Missed the gym due to migraine

Hello,

I follow a gym routine, it is very scheduled but today my routine was broken.

I had a severe migraine, I woke up with this crazy migraine and it got worse.

I am now feeling so guilty for missing a session, as I dont go off my schedule.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Pleasse address your migraine before you fret about breaking your schedule. Could you possibly be dehydrated? This could be an easy fix if you can drink some water. Clear your head then your way is clear. Take care.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Flexibility, faced with good reasons to change routine, is a good thing. Guilt is optional, and doesn't feel good. ;)

When your migraine is gone, you'll be right back on track, having flexibly adjusted for the change in conditions. Everything is and will be fine.

The advice to consider whether you have a migraine trigger is good advice.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,067 Member
    Dude you had a migraine.
    It's not like you didn't WANT to go, you COULDNT go.
    You shouldn't feel guilty for missing the gym! I get that it messes with the schedule though! But it's no big thing, as soon as it's gone and you're feeling well you can pick up straight where you left off :)
    Hope you're feeling better
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    I'm the same way. I don't get true migraines but my headaches are bad. They can make me skip a workout because every time I do a rep I want to puke. When I skip I try to do something good for myself whether it's extra rest, maybe getting some steps in, prepping some healthy meals, doing some productive things for work.

Just hop on tomorrow. You might be able to fix your program up so you don't miss anything this week after all.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    You definitely did the right thing - exercise can even make migraines worse (does for me anyway).

Try not to worry too much about one gym session and just get back on track when you have recovered.
    I haven't found the occasional day missed makes any noticeable difference to my workout progress.

Hope you're feeling better!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Rest is as important for your body as exercise. Make sure to take it when need it.

Regemented schedules can be a big help in someways, but what you are seeing now is the downside of being too regimented. You can't predict the future. Life will always get in the way of exercise sometimes. So the key is to learn enough flexibility, even if you normally have a set schedule, to adjust to these things and not let it make you feel guilty or keep you from getting back on track when you are feeling better.