Depression meds made me 50lb+! Keto is expensive. I start simple calorie deficit and workout today.

I've been on depression medicines for years and it has made me put on a total of 55lbs. I am unemployed, single. I was so fit, successful and financially independent 8 years back. A bad relationship and family complications left me devastated. I gain and lose weight, but my will power is currently 0. I've kept my life at hold because of my weight. I know I was and will always be attractive, if I may say so, but I really need to get out of my room and meet people, relatives, friends. Recently my therapist, yes, my therapist dumped me. A terrible doctor prescribed zolpidem, leaving me addicted to the drug till date. I live with enablers, but I understand I am a full blown adult who needs to be accountable. Every night I tell myself tomorrow, every morning I take another sleeping pill and spend the day horizontal. I'm still not that far gone. I can totally get my life back. I will get my life back. I will seek support when I want to binge.
Zolpidem has a terrible side effect that makes one binge eat in almost this sleep walking state. I binge in this sleepy state at night. During the day I eat so healthy. However, if I lie down the whole day and night, and watch TV, obviously I will put on weight. I also get these pains all over because of lack of exercise. I don't give up. I try. And fail. I just hope this time I can succeed a few times more than I fail. That's it.

Replies

• TNClutchman
    TNClutchman Posts: 27 Member
    Welcome to MFP. A lot has happened in your life in the past few years. It sounds like you have the right mind set and are determined to do something about your inactivity. The key is taking the steps to start and remain active. There are a numerous amount of exercise routines on YouTube that you could stream to work out to. Also, going to a park that has a walking trail or your local high school and using the track that the track team competes on is another option. Or just down the street and around the block. The key is to do and not just talk and say that you are going to do. You can keep saying "Tomorrow", but to actually take the steps to start. Action speaks louder than words. Also, you need to seek help with the addiction to the pills that you were prescribed. Maybe, a support group that meets every week. This is my 2nd go around here. The thing that helped me the first time was using, The Biggest Loser Boot Camp workout. I also invested in a food scale and measured my portions of food. I also, logged everything into my food diary here to stay on track. This site really was a great tool. I also had some very supportive friends here on the site. I hope this helps. Feel free to add me, I would be happy to try and support you on your journey.
  • PatrickMaryAlice
    PatrickMaryAlice Posts: 11 Member
    If you're unemployed, is there any way you can see about getting food stamps? It might help you out with being able to afford healthier choices... Although, I find living a keto way of life to be pretty affordable. If you're interested, feel free to message me and I can give you a whole bunch of cheap recipes and easy to eat things too. :) I have depression and mental disorders too. I know all about that unmotivated bad feeling you're talking about... All about it. It sucks! You know what you have to do, but have no motivation to do it! Been there! Still there, most days believe it or not. But why I really, really suggest you get on the keto diet is because you won't have to exercise to lose weight. You'll start burning fat just by the way you start to eat/tricking your body into using fat for energy not carbs. A lot of articles online and what not make keto seem really hard, and expensive, but I promise you it's not, not even close! :) I basically live off sugar free buttercream frosting "fat bombs." :) Hope to hear from you
  • Jerrman29
    Jerrman29 Posts: 24 Member
    I did a keto diet a couple years ago. I lost weight fast but I just felt like I was hungry all day long. I'm guessing I wasn't quite doing it right. I've suffered from depression and anxiety my whole life. Never found 1 medicine that worked. I've tried them all. I recently started taking adderall because I can't read and comprehend at all. It has helped with that, and I also feel better all around. I hope things start getting better for you. I'll add you and we can talk about it if you want.