Recommendations for smart scales?

Hey everyone!

I am thinking about asking for a set of smart body weight scales for Christmas. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations about the best ones on the market in the UK?

thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    Hey everyone!

I am thinking about asking for a set of smart body weight scales for Christmas. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations about the best ones on the market in the UK?

thanks!

Honestly all scales are fairly inaccurate for anything but body weight. The body fat/water/etc via Bio-electrical impedance can be thrown off by where you carry the majority of your fat (women tend to carry it in their lower extremities and the currents only travel so far).

If you want it for syncing to your MFP account, see https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps?app_category=scales for the brands that you can sync.

Personally though, I would stick with a normal digital scale and spend the money on something else.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    My scales are the Aria from Fitbit but my recommendation would be to skip the whole smart scale thing entirely, save your money. The wifi connectivity thing has pretty limited utility and all the other measurements (BF%, etc) are so inaccurate that they're essentially useless and really just serve as a justification for charging an exorbitant amount of money for a set of scales.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    I got a Withings Body+ smart scale about a month or so ago and love it. It does have gimmicks that I don't use like body fat, water level, etc. What I like about it is that it has a companion app (Healthmate) that tracks your weight readings. I like seeing the trend. It does sync to MyFitnessPal but what I learned is that since your weight goes up and down every day it would constantly post that I lost x LBS per day. So I quickly disabled syncing to MFP and just let it track on it's own app. I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XW4C5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    I got a Withings Body+ smart scale about a month or so ago and love it. It does have gimmicks that I don't use like body fat, water level, etc. What I like about it is that it has a companion app (Healthmate) that tracks your weight readings. I like seeing the trend. It does sync to MyFitnessPal but what I learned is that since your weight goes up and down every day it would constantly post that I lost x LBS per day. So I quickly disabled syncing to MFP and just let it track on it's own app. I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XW4C5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can do that in Libra/Happyscale with a normal digital scale though, I don't think I could justify spending upwards of £40 extra for something that literally takes me seconds to do in the morning.