Help! Vegetarian who cannot meet her protein goal

Options

Replies

• OwneyB
    OwneyB Posts: 7
    Options
    I use phood, it's a vegan meal replacement shake. I get it from veganessentials.com. You can also try millet it's a high protein grain. Do you like tofu, miso, temphe, or beans?
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    How about high protein non-fat non-sugar milk powder. I found some for people recovering from burns. It's cheap here. You can mix it through oats (tastes so so) or greek yoghurt (tastes good).

I also use it to mix with cocoa powder, almond milk, oats, peanut butter and put it in the fridge and then later take it out as a healthy high-protein and high-good-fats snack.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Without reading all the responses, I would say first, what is your goal? Unless you are exercising intensely (like heavy lifting or maybe Insanity-level cardio), you probably don't need more than 15% protein. Seriously. Protein is overrated around here. (I'm vegetarian too.)

That said, the days I go over my protein goal without trying are usually the days I ate beans or lentils. Both are high in protein. Eat them with a grain and you'll be good to go. You know, rice and beans, lentil patty on bread, chili and cornbread.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Well it seems that protein powders/shakes may be just the thing to get closer to my protein goal. Do you eat/drink them as a meal replacement, with meals or as snacks?

Because I am doing Insanity, and therefore figure I need some extra protein (or at least need to make my minimum goal on workout days), I am using some whey protein I bought at Costco. I use half a scoop with either yogurt or soymilk (I can't stand plain cow's milk) and a banana, blended in my Magic Bullet. It is quick and easy and gives me something to get my muscles fed while I shower and get breakfast going. On days I don't work out, I skip it. And today, having done just the fit test, I just drank the protein mixed with water. Oh, I do add some water to the shake to make it drinkable instead of thick to eat with a spoon.

If you really decide you need so much protein (and 40% is way too high--it's not healthy, IMO), you could add the protein powder to whatever you can put it in. Bake it in muffins or bread, add it to yogurt, drink it straight with your meal instead of whatever other drink you'd eat.

But do google "dangers of high protein diet" and at least familiarize yourself with the risks!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I too do have trouble meeting my protein goal without occasionally using protein powders.

Vega One is a great product and is completely vegan. It was created with the aim of being as 'natural' as a dietary supplement can be. Expensive, though. I only use it when I don't have time to eat a proper meal. It is enriched with vitamins and minerals as well. Contains no soy, no artificial flavors, no sweeteners or sugar (contains stevia).

I also really like Whey Gourmet Naturelle Vanilla Bean protein powder. It's made from whey (dairy), which makes it a fairly inexpensive high protein source. No artificial flavors or sweeteners. It is sweetened with cane juice (sugar) but only a small amount per serving.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How much protein do you think you need?
    Why?

I've been reading the boards a lot and used a few TDEE calculators. A few mentions eating as many grams of protein for every pound you weigh. Currently I have my protein set at 40% with Carbs and Fat both set at 30%

Well that is wrong info. Sadly it's been repeated so many times that many believe it to be true... Honestly .5g per lb. would be okay. Even the Strength and Conditioning Association who give info to Olympic lifters suggest .4-.8g per lb. that .8 is for elite athletes.

20% is most likely enough protein even with a good weight routine.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    MILK
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    nuts, nut butters
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    How much protein do you think you need?
    Why?

I've been reading the boards a lot and used a few TDEE calculators. A few mentions eating as many grams of protein for every pound you weigh. Currently I have my protein set at 40% with Carbs and Fat both set at 30%

Well that is wrong info. Sadly it's been repeated so many times that many believe it to be true... Honestly .5g per lb. would be okay. Even the Strength and Conditioning Association who give info to Olympic lifters suggest .4-.8g per lb. that .8 is for elite athletes.

20% is most likely enough protein even with a good weight routine.

Thanks for this. Good sense.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Whey is dairy based (the stuff they skim off the top when making cheese and butter) or Soy protein is completely plant based
  • ChickenmommaMich
    ChickenmommaMich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think I will lower my protein to 20% (which will be much more attainable) and use all the great ideas mentioned here to reach that. Any suggestions on what to set fat and carbs to now? I always end up having very high carb numbers, but a lot of my carb come from fruits and vegetables.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Eat more felafel and hummus... and beans generally. Kidney beans are full of protein, much more than you'd think.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    bump; thanks for the idea about cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I cant tolerate beans so it makes it difficult and I really dislike meat and eggs even though I eat them for convenience
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Eat more eggs. I eat a 7 eggwhite omelet with mushrooms and onions and I'll get around 25g of protein from that with 150 calories or so.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I posted this before, but topics move so fast I think it's OK to post it again:

I've started adding organic soya beans to my lunch salad. 125g cooked is loads, tasty and really filling - 190 calories and 17.5g protein. They taste like edamame, pretty much, but they aren't the same bright green colour, but a delicate, pale green.

I got the 500g packet of dried soya beans, soaked them overnight, then simmered them in water till they were cooked, but with a teeny bit of bite - it took about 2 1/2 hours I think.
    That was a load of hassle BUT, when they were cooked, drained and cold, I weighed them out into individual 125g bags and froze them - I think it made about 10 bags! Now I take a bag with me to work, and microwave them and add to my salad.
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's already been mentioned before, but I'll throw it in again for good measure. Beans on salad are my new favorite thing since switching to a mostly vegan diet (from lacto-ovo vegetarian). On days when I work out particularly hard, I'll put an entire can of chickpeas or butter beans on my salad. So good, so filling, and lots of protein for the calories.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think I will lower my protein to 20% (which will be much more attainable) and use all the great ideas mentioned here to reach that. Any suggestions on what to set fat and carbs to now? I always end up having very high carb numbers, but a lot of my carb come from fruits and vegetables.

that's basically cheating though... don't set your macros to reflect what you currently eat, set them to reflect what your body actually needs.

here's a rule of thumb for protein... 0.8g/lb of LBM

if you weigh 150lbs and have a BF% of 25%, then your LBM is 112.5 and your protein goal would be 90g per day.

generally speaking, that's needed for muscle growth (on a surplus) or retention (on a deficit). it's not that hard to get 90g of protein a day. it's only about 360 calories in the protein. you just have to eat some high protein foods a couple of times a day.
  • habibti
    habibti Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check out the Garden of Life brand - Raw Meal and Raw Protein shake mixes. I have both, I like the vanilla Raw Meal best, but just a warning, they do not taste "yummy" like Muscle Milk or others. They are thick and a bit gritty (because of the all the sprouted grains, I think!) I use a blender bottle and mix 1 scoop (half serving) with 8 oz. almond milk. I can't make a whole serving at once, I can't drink 16 oz fast enough before it becomes too thick for me! My friend likes to use an immersion blender to make it a finer consistency and adds a banana. And a side note, I'm pregnant right now and my midwife recommended Raw Meal/Raw Protein as a safe protein shake supplement to up my protein intake since I'm a veggie too :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I rely a lot on Greek yogurt, but I also eat a fair amount of tofu. Lentils are another biggie for me. I've also found I like Quest protein bars in the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor. I have one of those almost every day for 21 grams of protein that tastes like a dessert. Adding peanut or chickpea flour also gives a little protein boost to recipes.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have protein set to 25%, fat to 35%, and carbs to 40%.