Upcoming Surgery; Should I Continue to Lift Weights?

Options
So I'm scheduled to have surgery on Jan 10. After surgery, I will not be allowed to workout for a month. I'm currently lifting weights now, as it's just something I do.

Should I continue to lift weights now, even though in about a month I will begin to lose the muscle I've built? I just feel like I'm wasting time at this point.

Replies

• brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It's not going to make a huge difference either way. If it is an orthopedic-related surgery, sometimes the right lifting exercises can help "prehab" the muscle and shorten the recovery. Otherwise, if the doc is OK with it, you might as well continue doing what you do.

The clock on detraining starts when you stop lifting, so continuing to lift until the surgery means you will have only 1 month to overcome rather than 2.

And you won't lose that much muscle in one month. Gaining actual muscle is a long-term process--losing it is longer-term as well. You'll notice a bigger drop in strength because that is mediated more by the nervous system and that is more of a short-term adaptation. But that will come back pretty quickly as well.

If you have been lifting regularly for awhile, then a month is not that big a deal-- I think you will see that you will regain any losses fairly quickly. (Although it may not feel that way the first day back ;-)

I would not be overly concerned, and I would recommend you keep lifting.

Thank you! I feeling better about this now! :)
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    you are welcome - Good luck with the surgery
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Unless the doctor tells you otherwise lift up to the day of the surgery. Heck, I lifted the day of a couple orthopedic surgeries I had.

As @Azdak says in some cases prehab can help your recovery, it did for me. Check with your doctor or physical therapist for any specific moves you should be doing.

Best of luck.
  • Run_Away_Turtle
    Run_Away_Turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As someone who has had surgery recently, less than 3 weeks ago, but who lifted 5 days out of the week, I can say not lifting is hard. It really is. But the muscle loss isn't as bad as I thought it might be.
    Of course that doesn't mean I'm not counting down the days until I can start throwing the weights around again. =)
    You'll be ok.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would definitely continue lifting up until your surgery date. I had surgery 4 weeks ago, and followed my own advice. I'm back in the gym this weekend (can't wait!). I know I won't be where I was before surgery, but I will get there. Good luck to you!