Caregivers who forget to take care of themselves.

Options
I'm new to the whole message board thing. I'm also new to MFP and am trying to take control of my own health. I've always been an emotional eater and in the last few years my husband has had some major health issues. As the caregiver I have been concentrating on his recouperation and that was going real well then, Bang, he's diagnosed with Parkinson's. We've now got that under control and now is the time to regain control of ME. I'd love to hear from other caregivers out there and maybe get some feedback on how they're doing it. My name is Sandy and I'm feeling motivated.

Replies

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Howllo Sandy! I have been my mother's caregiver for 12 years now. I am also a Licensed Professional Counselor. I have learned that I have to take care of myself because there is no one else to take care of my mother. I have been on MFP for 4 plus years now. I am worthy of self nurturing and care.
    "in the event of an emergency, put your oxygen mask on before you help others around you. If you sit back and really digest these words, you will understand the fact that if you were to run out of oxygen, you would not be able to help anyone else with their oxygen mask."
  • jjp110
    jjp110 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m a mother of 3 my youngest has mental health issues and autism and I take care of my dad as well.