Looking for support!

I got this app at the beginning of the year and didn’t stick with it. I re-started on Monday!! I want to start now and not wait till the new year.

Replies

• RunningIntoShape
    RunningIntoShape Posts: 19 Member
    I got this app at the beginning of the year and didn’t stick with it. I re-started on Monday!! I want to start now and not wait till the new year.

Hey @amyisatrader. So what are your goals? Getting fit? Losing some weight like many here? Other? Feel free to add me as friend if you’re looking for connections to support your goal(s).

Good luck and stick with it. Baby steps...

• amyisatrader
    amyisatrader Posts: 2 Member
    So, my job requires some physical strength and I’ve gained a lot of weight over the last 5 years. I definitely want to lose weight and keep it off but also get back to weight training as well. I used to love it!
  • mandassss
    mandassss Posts: 1 Member
    Hello. I know it’s hard keeping track of what you eat, mostly because sometimes you forget to add the food here, it’s annoying or you are busy or something like that. Well this app help to give me some idea of the calories in each food. I don’t use this app everyday bc of the same reasons I listed up there, and now I use it occasionally. But it helped me loose some weight. Just don’t give up
  • RunningIntoShape
    RunningIntoShape Posts: 19 Member
    Hey @amyisatrader like so many others have suggested in these forums, on the losing weight front, basically it's a game of burning more calories than you consume. I have heard a lot of people say losing 1-2 lbs a week is a realistic goal and that made sense to me and was what I aimed for to lose around 40 lbs this year. Sometimes persons that are extremely overweight can take off more than 1-2 lbs a week at first, but that rate isn't sustainable in the long run and aiming for in the long run might make a person discouraged and give up when later it doesn't come off at that rate anymore, because as the pounds drop, your body fights to hang onto the weight more. I certainly noticed that. And if you have a week where the scale doesn't move, don't get discouraged, it happens to everyone at some point.

You mentioned you wanted to get back into weight lifting, that's great as the muscle mass you put on burns calories as well, which in the future will make it easier for you to maintain a healthy weight without having to reduce as many calories taken in daily. Plus right now you'll be burning calories while working out to build that extra muscle mass. I am not so much into weights and more into cardio/running, but definitely if you can combine calorie reduction with exercise that burns calories as well, that will make it so you don't have to reduce what you eat so much to create a caloric deficit. And from your comment that you used to love to lift weights, I would choose that then. I love running and so chose that. It always helps if you can do what you love.

As I mentioned for my weight loss journey, I tried to aim for a 2 lb loss weekly by reducing the regular caloric intake that a person of my age and normal activity level would normally consume (2,500 / day) by 1,000 calories a day to reduce my weekly intake by 7,000 calories (which works out to 2 lbs/week loss). And by combining daily exercise (cardio/running in my case), which burned about 600 calories the days I ran, on those running/cardio days, I could actually consume 2,100 calories (2,500 - 1,000 + 600). So only had to cut 400 calories on those days. And on my non-running days, I would just have to watch a little closer as to what I consumed, or find an alternate way to burn some calories to bump up the total calories I could eat that day. So it wasn't that bad.

On the reduction of calories, like many have suggested, the best way to get started is just to start tracking as accurately as possible as to what you eat each day in MFP. That way you can see what you eat and MFP will give you insight as you go along this journey as to what things you might be eating that use up a lot of your daily allotment of calories, carbs, protein, fat, etc. and what foods are better choices. Some foods I was surprised at when I started tracking in food diary, and as I progressed, I started to make alternate choices for items that just weren't worth what they took out of my daily allowed calories and added other items that I liked and found out were better choices. And don't get depressed if you have a bad day and go over what you planned. Another thing I noticed when I started tracking, was that it reduced the times I would just eat when I was bored. I would think about if I was really hungry or was habitually eating.

Anyways, I have rambled on for too long. Hopefully you got something out of above. I just wanted to try and contribute as I have learned so much from posts of others in these forums. And if anyone reads this and I got anything wrong in above, feel free to correct me.

Cheers,
    Trevor