Clothes that do not fit...

Options
Just wondering what many of you do with the clothes that no longer fit you.

I have always taken items I don't want to Goodwill, however, my local Goodwill is extremely pricey and I do not agree with it. For example, a USED kitchen/hand towel was priced at $4.99. Outrageous.

Just looking for some new ideas.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I take mine to the local woman's shelter so that those woman who have nothing can have something (esp office wear if they are getting a job).

I also take all my furniture, dishes, old cell phones etc there too.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Homeless shelters or a local home for women who are fleeing from domestic violence situations. Most of the time they leave a situation with only the shirts on their backs.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Agree with the women's shelter idea - also we have a couple programs in my area for veterans and their families. Some of the programs will even pick up your items if you schedule a delivery.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of donating to a shelter. I don't have one near me, so I trade with friends and family.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I drop mine off in the diabetes donation box.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I donate mine to a charity that sends them to poorer countries.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    i agree with you on goodwill, most goodwill's are privately owned, so they are money makers...You could try donating them to a church, a lot of churches i know give the clothes away on pantry day
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Perhaps a sale with money going to your favorite charity? Consignment shop? Shelters? We make blessing bags and carry them in our vehicle with various items. In the wintertime sometimes we have an extra used coat or two to pass to people in need that we may notice while driving. Perhaps a church would know of a family or woman in need? I think it is really wonderful that you are looking for new ideas and being creative...not to mention it is awesome that you have clothes that do not fit anymore. Good Luck !
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Look for other thrift shops that operate for charities, or ask at your church, they often know of women in need of clothes.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've been through a lot of donation places on tours and for volunteer work through scouts and some other orgs I've been in, and the only place I was truly impressed with was Salvation Army. A lot of the other places I was horrified by the low amounts of money that actually go to people in need (such as good will) and the amount of waste.
  • Jcat52643
    Jcat52643 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The hospital I was working at had a psych ward that was always looking for new clothes. I don't know if there is one near you though...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My sister works at an inpatient hospital psych unit and they ALWAYS need clothes donations. They get people who have literally nothing but the rags they came in with and hospital gowns. They even want old bras and socks. I send everything there.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The hospital I was working at had a psych ward that was always looking for new clothes. I don't know if there is one near you though...

Ha! Should have read the responses before I wrote mine!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've been washing, folding, and boxing up my stuff as I shrink out of it. The Diabetes Clothesline usually calls about a drop off date and time so I'm waiting for that call. If I don't get it then the stuff will probably go to the Lighthouse thrift store.