Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good heart rate monitor?

Replies

• wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good heart rate monitor?
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i have the polar F11, it's quite expensive but i love it!
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I just bought, and used for the first time today, a Suunto T1. Got it on Ebay for $55 plus shipping. does not do as many things as some others but if you compare them side by side and pick out the things you want it to do you may come up with the conclusion i did. The Suutno did every thing i wanted it to do, is a name i trust and the price was right.

Tim

(With chest strap)
  • jvball21
    jvball21 Posts: 33
    Options
    I second that.
    I have the Polar F11 too, and the features are very good. I comes with a chest strap and gives you a constant HR reading automatically as opposed to some other monitors. I purchased a Mio originally but I found that constantly checking your HR with it was very inconvenient, especially when I was running as it was hard to keep your fingers steady enough for a reading.

The F11 retails around 150.00 to 180.00, but I found mine on ebay for 130.00. Look around and you'll probably find a deal too.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I have a women's Polar F4, purchased at $88 (CAD). It also has the chest strap. It's works great!
  • cgallen916
    Options
    I don't have one yet, but I found one on REI.com. It's a Timex Sport personal heart rate monitor. It's got all of the features that I would need it for. $69.95.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    i have the polar f4 its excellent :)
    j~
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i have a mio classic that i got at walmart for less than $50, it has a heart rate montior/calorie counter and it doesn't need the chest strap. it's nice. my sister has a polar with the chest strap, and we compared the two, and while hers is pink and pretty, my big ole clunky black one works just fine for less than 1/3 the price.

while the chest strap is nice, i don't mind pressing the buttons on the mio for my heartrate. you only have to do it when you change intensity. since i don't walk any faster than 3.5 mph i don't really have an issue with keeping my arm steady enough.

so i suppose it it's all in what you are looking for. there is no way my sister could use the mio because she runs and wouldn't be able to get an accurate reading. and i'm a cheapo and can't justify spending that kind of money on something that i probably won't use much once i get down to my ideal weight.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    http://tinyurl.com/6qd667

Ebay auction for an F6 new in the case. Only $90 with shipping. That's a great deal! Mine cost $115 plus tax.

you can try to bid on Polars on ebay. You may get lucky. F4's usually go for around 85 to 90 so an F6 at that price is a bargin.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to get one myself. I'm a geek (and proud!) so I'd like one that can be connected to a computer - especially since cycling season is here. Any reccomendations?
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So can someone explain to me the pros and cons of a chest strap ?
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    So can someone explain to me the pros and cons of a chest strap ?

I have a Polar F4 with the chest strap, which is supposed to provide a more reliable heartrate, since it constantly monitors your rate. I thought that I would hate the strap and truly considered getting a different brand because I didn't want it. Now I find that it does not bother me any more than my sports bra. I would definitely recommend it.
  • jvball21
    jvball21 Posts: 33
    Options
    wildkitty,

The pros of a chest strap:
    Constant heart rate reading.
    More accurate calorie burn count as opposed to a push button type monitor.

Cons:
    Strap a little uncomfortable at first but you get used to it.
    You can't get a HR reading unless you have the strap on.
    A little more expensive then strapless monitors.

The constant HR reading was the selling point for me, because my intensity levels change frequently and it was a pain in the butt to push the buttons on a strapless monitor every time my level changed and sometimes I even forgot. When that happened, it threw my true calorie count off whack.
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have the Pink Polar F11 and love it. It can wirelessly transmit all your files and data to your computer and have a personal training site just for you on the Polar website. It takes a resting fitness reading and figures out your optimal heart rate zone automatically, as well as telling you when you are over or under that zone.

Here in Australia they retail for $299, but I got mine on ebay for $132. Check them out and do your research!