First Bulk

allother94
allother94 Posts: 588 Member
I’m going to start my first bulk to build some muscle but not too much fat. Currently I’m 43, 6’3” 195lb at around 14-15 bf%.

I do a push/pull/leg program 3 days a week with some cardio worked in. I know some people think this is less than ideal, but this was given to me by a trainer that and I would not want to change this unless there is significant proof that a different way would produce 150-200% better results.

I’m thinking of a lean bulk with 300 cals surplus to start, giving me a rest day calorie total of 2700 with 200g protein (30%), 60g fat (20%) and 340g of carbs (50%).

Looking for advice on the following questions

1). Should to start with less cal surplus to avoid overshooting my needs?
2. Does the macro split look good based on your experience?
3. If I lift during lunch, should I try to get a ton of carbs or protein in before my workout?
4. Should I get my bf lower before starting a bulk?
5. How long should my bulk last? Could a do a 3 month bulk to gain 10lbs of something and then do a cut to get back to my current bf%? How do you guys know when to stop a bulk and start a cut in terms of bf%. FWIW, I don't need a beach body during the summer.

Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    1. That is a good range
    2. It looks good
    3. If you want to time nutrients, than carbs prior to lunch and protein after.
    4. I would
    5. Most bulk until they dont like their bodies or males should go until around 20% body fat.

Also, i know you won't change your program buts its pretty easy yo find evidence to support increased training frequency and volume. If anything I would ask your training why are they recommending low frequency training, especially given this is your first bulk.
  • allother94
    psuLemon wrote: »
    1. That is a good range
    2. It looks good
    4. I would
    5. Most bulk until they dont like their bodies or males should go until around 20% body fat.

Also, i know you won't change your program buts its pretty easy yo find evidence to support increased training frequency and volume. If anything I would ask your training why are they recommending low frequency training, especially given this is your first bulk.

Thanks! How far would you go down before bulking? I should mention that my goal is to be around 14% bf long term, but I would like more muscle than what I have now. Given this, should I try to mix a bulk with recomp with maybe 150 cal surplus? Or should I bulk up and keep coming down to 14%
  • psuLemon
    allother94 wrote: »
    1. That is a good range
    2. It looks good
    4. I would

Thanks! How far would you go down before bulking? I should mention that my goal is to be around 14% bf long term, but I would like more muscle than what I have now. Given this, should I try to mix a bulk with recomp with maybe 150 cal surplus? Or should I bulk up and keep coming down to 14%

If your goal is muscle gain, the fastest is to bulk. Since its your first, the surplus can be a bit more aggressive.

Most would suggest cutting to 10-12% but if you have pictures it would be easier to assess.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2019
    I'll add this here as it relates to your training frequency. Myth #2.

https://youtu.be/Dp3truKibtc

Overall, if you get equivalent frequency, there isn't a huge difference. But increased frequency generally leads to more volume which increases hypertrophy.

It comes down to how your trainer set up your programming.
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    1. That is a good range
    2. It looks good
    4. I would

Second this

On 2. You might find as I did that more fats agree with you but as long as the band for fat doesn't exceed 30% on average. But 20% - 30% is perfect

On 3. Carbs before certainly and I've found it best if I have at least a couple hours in between eating and working out.

All else sounds well reasoned. Good luck
  • allother94
    Thanks!