Sexism

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
edited December 2019 in Chit-Chat
No, this isn't a thread to fight about gender roles--I'm not trolling for outrage here. I'm just struck this morning by some of the things I see on ads on TV that are either encouraging, discouraging, or prompt questions that I think can promote civil discussions.

We all have different experiences in moving through the world and I'm curious to hear about the ones that differ between the genders, whether actual experience or depictions.

Here's what prompted me to start this thread and I hope gives you an idea what I mean.

1) Duluth trading company ads. When they show women, the women are always doing very practical type things, and I find this really gratifying. For example their ad for their 'no tug tank'. Women are painting and fixing things around a farm (as rural women do--in general farmers have to know how to do *everything* on their own and gender is no exemption). So I really like that ad, it's affirming of women's capabilities, and promises a product that eliminates one of life's little annoyances that is usually below mention but yeah, you know, if you think about it, it really is annoying.

Because there are still a lot of ads (especially fashion and makeup ads) that seem to want to make us women feel insecure in order to get us to buy something. Seriously, 5 years ago did any woman *anywhere* really worry all that much about her eyebrows beyond some occasional shaping (except those who lost theirs entirely for medical or overtweezing reasons)? Now it seems like a make-up company-driven obsession to make us all eyebrow-insecure so we'll stencil them on with this or that brand of eyebrow paint. Companies create a psychological insecurity so they can patch the insecurity with a product. Patching rather than fixing assures repeat customers.

2) The 'don't mess with my discount' ad from progressive, in which a dude in an amped-up car (mustang? )stopped at a light says to the progressive customer dude in a small sedan, "wanna go bro? wanna go"?", as an invitation to drag race. To me that's sort of a stereotype of high school boys, but in the ad its between adult men. I have not personally seen that sort of thing in the real world between adults. Is that *really* part of the male experience in the US or is that just advertising hyperbole? (I've been alone since my 20's so I don't have a live-in dude I can ask.)

Replies

• mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    There's a ad I hear a lot about a dad having superpowers to change clothes pink but can't change them back. It's told from his young son's point of view. The product is some washing detergent I think. I hate it every time I hear it. I think it's sexist against men like, haha they can't do laundry! Idk if this was relevant to what you were looking for.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Just a couple days ago a 16 year old died in U.S custody at migrant boarder patrol. He was sick and died in his own blood in a cell with tin foil as blankets.. literally. they didn’t help him.

I don’t care about this pettyiness you’re posting about.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    op hijacked her own thread. All that trump talk was unnecessary. I was just making a point about how I personally feel about the topic.
    My comment had nothing to do with the op.
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Just a couple days ago a 16 year old died in U.S custody at migrant boarder patrol. He was sick and died in his own blood in a cell with tin foil as blankets.. literally. they didn’t help him.

I don’t care about this pettyiness you’re posting about.

The OP didn't say this is the foremost issue on her mind. I'm sure we can all agree that these tragedies are much more important.

• LAT1963
    edited December 2019
    Options
    thongguy23 wrote: »
    So I have always been considered as a “feminine” male. From the tight clothes, my choice of underwear, the fact I’ve had my hair removed by laser, I do all the cooking in cleaning in my house hold, I do not watch a single sport on tv, I can go on for days. People assume I am homosexual due to my non traditional role and complete opposite of what people consider masculine. Which who cares but it would be nice for the world to catch up to the fact that we are all people first and gender has nothing to do with who and what we are. Sexism happens both ways and it’s getting very old

Yeah. those expectations are arbitrary social construct. 'feminism' is freeing everyone to be human first. (sadly the term itself has become somewhat limiting because the word references female-ness--but 'humanist' was already taken)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I am the Patriarchy, Coo Coo Ca Choo! lol
  • LAT1963
    Options
    My husband is a little annoyed with some of the stuff too, like men often being shown as tailgating bacon lovers who are clueless around the house. It's just tired.

ROFL. Love your description of how men are stereotyped!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I hate the "man cold" ads - it insults me for men. And *kitten* that, I get "man colds", I wallow when I'm sick.
  • jacktherower
    jacktherower Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Toxic masculinity is rampant in our society. The end. Look at the peloton commercial
  • LAT1963
    Options
    Toxic masculinity is rampant in our society. The end. Look at the peloton commercial

The peloton commercial made me look at the Echelon website. 🤪😅😂
This discussion has been closed.