Newbie in need of some serious help!

Options
Moonlight17
Moonlight17 Posts: 173 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello! Hope you are all well.

I think I will start with a bit about myself!

I have decided to get start losing weight and am completely new to it. I heard that you lose a lot of weight at the start of any new weight loss regime so this is very motivating!

I am 5"3 and weigh 140lbs and most of my fat is on my mid section.

I have basically led a sedentary lifestyle all my life, no exercise or eating well at all and so this is all very daunting to me! I am excited to see what I can accomplish at the end of the journey and hope that I can inspire someone on here.

My reasons for starting this journey is because I have been diagnosed with diabetes and it has shaken my world upside down!

Ok so that's done with. I have decided despite never exercised in my life to start on Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and also do Insanity side by side with it. So basically JM30DS every morning, and then ending the day with Insanity work out. I am 140lbs and 5"3 (just thought I'd remind everyone) and was wondering, is this enough to lose a lot of weight in a month? Or at least a massive noticeable amount?

I also plan on counting calories and having about 1400 calories per day, and eating a lot more raw fresh foods and cooking with little oil and in smaller portions too.

Replies

• nikky31
    nikky31 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hey I am also doing insanity! you should really eat more calories because you are doing two exercise programs! id bump up your calories to like 1600 you don't want to starve your body. how much weight are you wanting to lose in one month? I know with insanity your going to lose a ton of inches because ive been doing It for 3 days and ihave already lost 1 inch from each leg and 1 inch from my stomach.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a couple major exercise routines, you should be eating like an athlete trying to drop a few pounds without seeing a major loss in function - not a crash dieter (side note: extremely low-cal diets are designed to produce -ahem- loyal customers). Give yourself full credit for what you do and change your calories to match.
  • Moonlight17
    Moonlight17 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! You've both encouraged me a lot :)
  • nygiants1313
    Options
    you can do it just don't give up, i believe with the right calorie intake, amount of exercise and sleep which is very important as well, and the fact this will pretty much be your first month exercising if i read correctly, you could lost 12 pounds in your first month...don't give up, its a lifestyle change..but just think how you will feel from only one month from now :)
  • Shirah89d
    Shirah89d Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Something that could be very beneficial for you is to do some research on the Paleo style of eating. It will seems a little over whelming, however it is extremely effective and not that bad once you are on it. When it comes to fitness, having as many tools in your tool box is your best bet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How old are you?

Also, with insanity, the base amount of calories a person needs is 1800. Add 30DS and you will probably need 2000+. I assume you have diabetes II? With that in mind, it's suggested to have a slightly lower carb diet, so look for foods high in protein and fats.

Also, I would highly recommend looking to do some resistance training (not cardio resistance like 30DS). There are loads of benefits to having weight training.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Eat the 1400 calories a day PLUS what you burn exercising.
  • Hazeleys
    Hazeleys Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First, let me say "good for you!" for making the decision to take charge of your health - diabetes is nothing to mess around with! But I honestly think that your exercise plan is a bit ambitious at this point. Going from "sedentary" to doing two very intense workouts per day may be more than you're ready for. I would suggest starting a bit slower - maybe choose one or the other. Or, start with 30 mins. of walking at a brisk pace daily and add in 30DS or Insanity as you get more fit. As far as "losing a lot of weight in a month", again, I think you're setting yourself up for failure. Yes, it's possible to lose a bit of weight in a month, but it may not be the healthiest way - aim for a pound a week. Try to look at the changes you are making as a new lifestyle, not a diet. Figure out how many calories you need to consume in a day to lose (lots of ways to figure this out: MFP, TDEE), weigh, measure and log everything you put in your mouth, try to hit your macros, and move more. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.