Gained weight, next steps?

Options
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I should post this here, but I have been going through something lately and I would appreciate it if the experts here on the forums could advise me on my potential next steps.

To begin, I'm 5'6", female, 30 years old.

I lost over 100 lbs in the past 2 years, and had been attempting maintenance since June of this year, so for the past 6 months. In the beginning, it seemed to be going rather well but at some point, I started to find myself binging every once in awhile. Eventually, the binging picked up in frequency and I found myself in a binge/restrict cycle. Maintenance became a "game" of restricting and binging - going up and down in weight, 124-129 lbs it seems.

At one point, I started to lose control of the habit and about 2 weeks ago I binged for almost an entire weekend and then continued to overeat for the rest of the week. I also did not exercise at all during this time. I may have gained a solid 10 lbs of fat, but I'm not sure. I did not weigh myself. Since then, I have been trying to keep my calories closer to maintenance but with a slight deficit and decreased the intensity of my training. However, I have obviously gone up in weight. My waist went up an entire inch and I feel as though I have a layer of fat everywhere. My pants are more snug, but my tops seem to fit the same. Before that week, I was at about 19% body fat.

Family members are telling me that I look better now and that I was too thin before but I didn't view myself that way. I know that I should seek help with my body image, but what do you all think my next steps should be? Should I recomp at this weight or attempt a cut perhaps?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I just would like to know how I should approach this period in my life. Should I simply be attempting maintenance or is there a better approach while I work on figuring out what is going on with me? I don't want to allow this period to cause me to lose all of the progress I have made.

I think maintenance would be a sensible approach while you figure things out in your head. Is therapy an option? Bingeing and restricting left untreated may get worse. You gotta find a way of dealing with the mental stuff.

I completely agree. I guess maintenance has been the most difficult part of this journey for me. Losing weight seemed relatively easy, even though it obviously took some time. Figuring out a path of moderation and nourishment to fuel rather than to meet certain goals is challenging for me.

Also, the change in my body is difficult for me to adapt to. It blows my mind that in one week I was able to gain 1" around my waist, and .5 - .75" on my thighs. I wasn't even that thick when I started maintaining in June. Is it really possible that I lost all of my progress and some in one week? I look in the mirror and still look rather lean and muscular, but obviously with some more fat.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I just would like to know how I should approach this period in my life. Should I simply be attempting maintenance or is there a better approach while I work on figuring out what is going on with me? I don't want to allow this period to cause me to lose all of the progress I have made.

I think maintenance would be a sensible approach while you figure things out in your head. Is therapy an option? Bingeing and restricting left untreated may get worse. You gotta find a way of dealing with the mental stuff.

I completely agree. I guess maintenance has been the most difficult part of this journey for me. Losing weight seemed relatively easy, even though it obviously took some time. Figuring out a path of moderation and nourishment to fuel rather than to meet certain goals is challenging for me.

Also, the change in my body is difficult for me to adapt to. It blows my mind that in one week I was able to gain 1" around my waist, and .5 - .75" on my thighs. I wasn't even that thick when I started maintaining in June. Is it really possible that I lost all of my progress and some in one week? I look in the mirror and still look rather lean and muscular, but obviously with some more fat.

Highly unlikely. Barring some medical condition that I wouldn't know anything about, it's almost certainly water retention. There's no doubt that bingeing cost you something in terms of progress, that's what it does, but I doubt it was to that degree. Lay off the salt and high carbs for a few days and you'll likely see it go back down.
  • umbramirror
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Highly unlikely. Barring some medical condition that I wouldn't know anything about, it's almost certainly water retention. There's no doubt that bingeing cost you something in terms of progress, that's what it does, but I doubt it was to that degree. Lay off the salt and high carbs for a few days and you'll likely see it go back down.

I thought that as well but it has been a week and a half since the last day of that awful week. The water should have eased up by now, no? I have seen a great reduction of water, but it seems that I have actually gained a large amount of fat. I have no other explanation for the increase in measurement. I don't consume a high carb diet and actively try to limit them. I have been doing this since the very beginning of my weight loss journey. I suppose I could cut down even more, but that would mean cutting fruit and vegetables which I don't want to do. I stopped tracking, so perhaps I'll have to at least check my carb intake to see if it's elevated. Thanks for the advice and insight.
  • umbramirror
    Options
    IF you are experiencing amenorrhea, you are restricting your calories far too much - up your calories to a sensible amount - that should help stop the binging - you mustn't starve yourself or you will end up in all sorts of trouble.

I'm no longer experiencing amenorrhea thankfully. My period returned 2 months ago, as it seems the binging as gotten it going again. I suppose my body freaked out a bit and was trying to restore itself to a normal level... I guess I have to deal now with that, and try to let it stabilize for awhile.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Measuring circumferences of areas of your body like waist and thighs is problematic for determining fat. Water, and for your waist measurement, bloating, amount of food in your digestive system, and probably other things will affect that. If you want to judge if fat has increased then track measurements using a pinch test with a set of $8 calipers at the locations on your body that you care about.

High carbs are only problematic in that they can cause you to retain water. Avoiding them is fine if that's a strategy that works for you when you're dieting, but there's no other reason to avoid them. And don't forget about salt. It, by far, is the most common culprit for rapidly varying weight and if you're in the USA just about anything you buy that you don't cook yourself is going to be loaded with it.
  • umbramirror
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Measuring circumferences of areas of your body like waist and thighs is problematic for determining fat. Water, and for your waist measurement, bloating, amount of food in your digestive system, and probably other things will affect that. If you want to judge if fat has increased then track measurements using a pinch test with a set of $8 calipers at the locations on your body that you care about.

High carbs are only problematic in that they can cause you to retain water. Avoiding them is fine if that's a strategy that works for you when you're dieting, but there's no other reason to avoid them. And don't forget about salt. It, by far, is the most common culprit for rapidly varying weight and if you're in the USA just about anything you buy that you don't cook yourself is going to be loaded with it.

Thank you for continuing to respond to my questions. I really appreciate it. I agree that measuring circumference on those areas isn't too accurate, but also, I believe skin fold measurements wouldn't be very accurate for me as well, which is why I haven't used that method. Since I lost a lot of weight rather quickly, I have a lovely loose skin/surface fat situation going on in those particular areas (as well as some others, such as my upper inner arms, and glutes). I might have to just wait until I get a DXA scan one day, otherwise, it's the body fat reading on my scale that I have been going by (haven't weighed myself in about a month though).

Yes, I wouldn't typically be avoiding a higher carb diet, I just seem to find myself feeling better on a lower carb diet. I wouldn't say my diet is necessarily lower in carbs but more my net carbs are low and I stay away from simple carbs most of the time. I also do try to limit my sodium intake. I cook almost all of my meals at home and try not to overdo it with the salt.

I guess I just have to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if I should post this here, but I have been going through something lately and I would appreciate it if the experts here on the forums could advise me on my potential next steps.

To begin, I'm 5'6", female, 30 years old.

I lost over 100 lbs in the past 2 years, and had been attempting maintenance since June of this year, so for the past 6 months. In the beginning, it seemed to be going rather well but at some point, I started to find myself binging every once in awhile. Eventually, the binging picked up in frequency and I found myself in a binge/restrict cycle. Maintenance became a "game" of restricting and binging - going up and down in weight, 124-129 lbs it seems.

At one point, I started to lose control of the habit and about 2 weeks ago I binged for almost an entire weekend and then continued to overeat for the rest of the week. I also did not exercise at all during this time. I may have gained a solid 10 lbs of fat, but I'm not sure. I did not weigh myself. Since then, I have been trying to keep my calories closer to maintenance but with a slight deficit and decreased the intensity of my training. However, I have obviously gone up in weight. My waist went up an entire inch and I feel as though I have a layer of fat everywhere. My pants are more snug, but my tops seem to fit the same. Before that week, I was at about 19% body fat.

Family members are telling me that I look better now and that I was too thin before but I didn't view myself that way. I know that I should seek help with my body image, but what do you all think my next steps should be? Should I recomp at this weight or attempt a cut perhaps?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

No one on here is an expert (outside of self proclaimed ones... and even if they are.. why they have so much time and helping ppl for free if it's what they get paid to do?), hire someone or go see a nutritionist.

As for the binging ... you control that so you can stop yourself, not saying it's easy but it is within your control. Body image thing, maybe speak to a professional as well.

Comments from friends and family are always *kitten* up IMO and drives me nuts think there is a huge thread on this somewhere.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I bet you didn’t gain 10 lb in a week. Pick a realistic maintenance calorie goal and meet it for two weeks. I bet your weight evens back out. You have extra food in your intestines right now plus boating, etc.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

I think maintenance while you seek professional help is probably the wise choice. There could be driving forces to the recent binges, or some other type of thing pushing you into self image issues. But in any case, as stated above, the people here on the forum aren't the experts you should be speaking with.

That said, being the complex humans we are, it could happen to just about anyone. Keep yourself healthy and take care of yourself as you figure it out.