Question

Options
Is it too personal too ask you all how much calories you eat on a daily basis? I'm intrigued as I feel like I'm never full :(

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    On average I eat around 1800kcal. Some days lower, some days higher.

If you are a volume eater, more nutrient dense food (various sources of protein, fibrous vegetables and fruit) can be eaten for less calories. If you are a palate eater, meaning things that are tasty make you feel full, then make your lower calorie foods taste like a gourmet meal. If you're a textural eater, food must have a certain mouthfeel to create fullness, then find recipes that allow you to be creative with lower calorie foods.

There are a variety of ways to create satiety as long as you know yourself and your preferences.

I don't have a preference for food since I only care about the nutrients I get, so I'll throw a bunch of protein and carb crap in a pan, saute it in some type of cooking fat, season it, and eat it. Rinse and repeat. Great for bachelors. Sadness for families.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    you can't really compare person to person. We all have different calorie needs... I would be hungry eating X amount while the petite woman next to me would be more than satisfied with the same amount... I personally eat about 2300/day, trying to lose about .5lb a week. But, I'm tall, and I'm breastfeeding.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    2800-3000 to maintain...2300-2500 to lose weight.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You can certainly ask, and people will likely tell you, but @kshama2001 explained nicely why their answers won’t do much to help you. The only thing I would add is to make sure your deficit, if you are trying to lose weight, is reasonable for your stats and that you are eating exercise calories back appropriately. An overly aggressive deficit often leads to feeling hungry.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Pregnant and supposed to be getting 2300 to gain +1lbs/week. Actually eat around 2000 daily because that's how much I can manage. When I want to lose weight MFP frequently puts me at 1600-1800 before exercise... It varies widely with your age, height, activity level, and some medical oddities like pregnancy and nursing.

For me cals in vs cals out eating leaves me hungry. Eating things that are nutrient dense but low in calories works better like 300cals of steamed broccoli is a lot more quantity of food than 300cals of potato chips. The lower I have to get my calories, the more low calorie, nutrient dense things I eat like lettuce, carrots, roasted cauliflower, etc. The more calories I have to get in the more I try to eat calorie dense food like almonds, avocados, peanut butter, bread, etc. Maybe take a look at the bang for your buck of what you're eating.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am female, 5’4”, 29 years old, lightly-to-moderately active. I lost weight 2lbs-2.5lbs a week at the beginning on 1400 calories, which slowly reduced to 1280 as my body mass reduced and my calorie goal recalculated on MFP. At some point, I moved my goal to lose 1 lb a week, which put me at about 1600-1800 calories a day. Now that I’m at my goal weight of 125-130, I maintain in around 2200-2300 calories a day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot :) I don't track my calories I just keep eating and hope for the best, haha. Based on previous data, I'd say around 3000 cals to lose 0.5lbs or so. I am breastfeeding, lifting 4x per week, fairly active.