How do you do avocado?

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
I usually just make guacamole but end up eating the entire batch plus an entire bag of bagel chips to go along with it. But sooo good. :)
I've never liked plain avocado, just so bland. But I had a slice of Italian bread with chicken salad on top, along with some avocado and sea salt and that was pretty tasty too. :)
What kinds of foods do you like to add avocado to or make with it?

Replies

• noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Toast for sure with salt and pepper, sometimes cayenne
    On top of "bowls" so quinoa + broccoli + avocado slices, brown rice + tofu + avocado slices, etc
    In "salads" so tomato + cucumber + avocado chunks + dressing
    Chunks on top of soups or tacos as a replacement for cheese
    Blended in smoothies for adding fat/creaminess
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I loooove avocado!

I slice it and use as topping on chicken.

Also - baked avocado with a egg in the middle. Yum with sea salt and a bit of herbs.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Ceviche tostadas.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Chunked into salad with shrimp and grapefruit
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I only eat avocado in guacamole and in a sushi roll. I don't like avocado plain either. Ive had it on toast or on a fried egg and toast, and on some deli sandwich and to be honest, its not noticable enough to be worth the extra calories. I kinda feel the same way with cheese on a turkey club, i can barely notice the cheese, i would rather just add mayo.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Mashed on scrambled eggs, cubed on tacos and in chili. It's really good spread on a toasted bagel with salt and pepper!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I only like it in guacamole, rice bowl or sushi roll. Otherwise, no thanks.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why people have an issue with their avocado being too ripe too quick. I live where they are grown. All I do is buy one hard or a touch riper leave it on the counter for a day or two till it's perfect then put it in the fridge where it stops getting ripe as fast. Lasts days. I've never ever had to throw one out.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I usually eat avocados plain straight out of the shell w/lime juice, a little salt and cayanne or tajin.

Only buy them in bulk when on sale as unripe as possible and store them in the frig til ready to eat. Cthey will ripen slowly even in the frig but if not ready immediately will ripen sufficiently in less than a day. Once cut open, I eat it immediately to avoid spoilage.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    My favourite way to use leftover roast chicken is an easy, vaguely Mexican salad with avocado. Chopped avocado, chopped chicken, a jar of commercial tomato salsa, chopped coriander.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I eat several avocados a week. I like it mixed with tuna, turkey, chicken or plain right out of the skin. A little salt and pepper is all I need.

Also, great topping on rice cakes.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Peel it. Eat it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Diced hard boiled egg, grape tomatoes and diced avocado with salt, pepper and vinegar (or lime juice). Yum.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I am not sure why people have an issue with their avocado being too ripe too quick. I live where they are grown. All I do is buy one hard or a touch riper leave it on the counter for a day or two till it's perfect then put it in the fridge where it stops getting ripe as fast. Lasts days. I've never ever had to throw one out.

I didn't have problems with avocados in Florida or Costa Rica either, but up here in Massachusetts they are like this:

4720dd6c1e599abfe56b039da9b26441.jpeg
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love avocado plain, so I can just cut it in half, remove the pit, and eat it... It's good mashed up with lemon or lime juice or chopped pineapple also, eating with a spoon or on crackers or in corn taco shells. I don't like avocado on softer bread, but whole grain pita bread works very well for me.

Sometimes I use it instead of dressing on a salad, either mashed with lemon juice or just cut up into small pieces. Can go into some kinds of sandwiches and wraps also. Actually can be good with nut or seed butters if you aren't afraid of fat. Lots of greens plus onion work well in an avocado sandwich also. Goes well with cucumber especially.

But I never was able to properly store them until I found out how well they freeze. Now if a good batch is on sale, I buy a lot and just mash up the innards with lemon juice or lime juice and then fill plastic snack or sandwich bags with them. I like to flatten the bags with just half a Haas avocado in each and then freeze. Once frozen, they are especially easy to stack vertically or horizontally and they thaw fast enough for me. I don't even wait for official thawing in the bag these days, just eat them or cut up pieces for crackers or salads. But if you use more at a time, you can put more of the mashed up avocado in a bag with no problem (don't add tomatoes or anything but the lemon or lime juice or else supposedly they will be too watery - make guacamole with them after thawing).

I buy them bright green mainly to make sure I get them home unbruised. I can wait for them to get darker once they are safe on the counter, but have to watch them or else they get inedible pretty fast. Depends on the batch. They are supposed to all be ripe at the store but some are harder than others inside. Have been very lucky recently, though, they've been perfect when cut open, so the freezer is packed with good but cheap avocados (lots of sales). They last quite a while, probably months and certainly weeks.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas; I knew this was the place to come for answers. :)