Newbie from New York

Options
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself - I'm Marnie, 33 from New York city.

Trying to get rid of the same 20 lbs that I've been getting rid of and gaining back for years now. I've been using a similar sort of site for a few years now, and thought I'd give this one a go and see what happened. I have been browsing the forums for a few days and like what I see.

Hope to get to know someone of you while simultaneously fitting back into my 2011 jeans and, as a bonus, still being able to breathe, eat, sit, walk, etc. Wouldn't that be nice! :-)

Replies

• moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a New Yorker too, also trying to drop 20 lbs. Sent you a request!
  • CoachRicardo
    Options
    Welcome aboard Marnie!

Best advice I can give is to eat real food and things made with whole foods, not processed "diet" junk. Also, I find that the best way to get results tracking your nutrition is to plan ahead versus reacting to the day. Fail to plan and plan to fail. In other words, fill in tomorrows day of meals tonight. Know what you are going to eat and have it ready. That way you are less likely to go of course, add excess calories, under eat or be nutritionally deficient. Good luck to you! Feel free to reach out any time!
  • dridings74
    dridings74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard Marnie!

Best advice I can give is to eat real food and things made with whole foods, not processed "diet" junk. Also, I find that the best way to get results tracking your nutrition is to plan ahead versus reacting to the day. Fail to plan and plan to fail. In other words, fill in tomorrows day of meals tonight. Know what you are going to eat and have it ready. That way you are less likely to go of course, add excess calories, under eat or be nutritionally deficient. Good luck to you! Feel free to reach out any time!

Yes! This is great advice on planning. It's the only way I manage to not go over my calorie budget on a daily basis.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Welcome.. fellow NYer here. My advice to you is to take everything anyone says here with a grain of salt. Everyone is a damn expert and nutritionist. But you should know that being a NYer :laugh:
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

Funny you should say that - in my group of friends, I'm known as "spreadsheet" because I do exactly that! I plan everything out (usually the week before, but at the very least, the day before). I got out of the habit when I went on a family vacation, and it sent me back a couple of pounds, so you're absolutely right!

If only I could stick with doing this for just food and stop having spreadsheets of to do lists. I think a post it note saying "clean bathroom" or "buy toilet paper" would probably be just as efficient! :-)
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    mariabraceyrobinson Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    welcome, Marnie. I've lost 20 lbs so far this year, 16 lbs using this site & have about 30 to go. Most people are pretty encouraging and check on you every day, if that's what you need to keep you on track & accountable. I'll help you. sending a friend request.
  • Robin052
    Robin052 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome Marnie, I am a native NYer as well but live in AZ now. I am basically starting from scratch again. Not motivated to exercise is my problem. I used to be addicted to exercise back in the day but I think my problem is all mental. And all my weight is belly fat. I have a beer gut and don't even drink, LOL. Help!!!:angry:
  • marniesworld
    Options
    Don't feel bad, Robin. I am the same (except I also have "beer thighs" and "beer butt" as well - how did that happen?) :-)
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Welcome from Brooklyn Marnie... As for advice, Ricardo is spot on. Although you may not be able to plan 100% of the time, it's important to have a handle on your food intake as much as possible.

Well, good luck on your journey!
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi, Marnie! I'm from the Bronx. I think it would be awesome to have local friends so we can identify healthy restaurants and supermarkets.
  • Ali_Leeds
    Options
    Hi,

I love New York went there as part of my university trip.

okay its simple eat right and exercise more.

advise from a simpleton from England : - D
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am a New Yorker too. I live in Queens, and go to school in the City! Being from the city is already an advantage, lots of places to workout and buy healthy food. But if your like me, and have trouble saying no to food then it's also a disadvantage because of all the varieties of tasty food that's not always good for you, but we'll get through it.
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Marnie! Native New Yorker checking in, the Bronx specifically :). I'm trying to lose the last 12-13 lbs so I could be back to the 118 I was 3 years ago. Good luck!
  • lashleywilliams93
    Options
    Hello! I hope you find MFP to be enjoyable. I've enjoyed it so far, and I've only been on two days!!

Ashley
  • marniesworld
    Options
    Hello! I hope you find MFP to be enjoyable. I've enjoyed it so far, and I've only been on two days!!

Ashley

Thanks! So far, so good! I hope you've had the same experience!

One thing I've learned very quickly is to weed through a lot of the sarcasm and mean-spiritedness that I've seen a lot of (under the guise of "trying to help"). Once I got that through my head, I started to enjoy it here a lot more and have met a lot of nice people with a lot of helpful information!
  • marniesworld
    Options
    Hi Marnie! Native New Yorker checking in, the Bronx specifically :). I'm trying to lose the last 12-13 lbs so I could be back to the 118 I was 3 years ago. Good luck!

LOL, oddly enough I'd love to be the 118 I was in 2007! Baby steps though, right?

Your dog is to-die-for cute, by the way!!!