Calf Cramping issues

Options
Hi all,

I'm actually seeking help for my husband. His calves have been starting to cramp multiple times during the night, and preventing him from getting decent sleep. They have done this in the past occasionally, and we aren't sure why.

Exercise: He uses stationary bike multiple times a week, at least an hour each session. I don't know exacts as he is finished by the time I get home. He has been using this form of exercise for multiple years, he has not increased time or resistance lately that could explain change.

Nutrition: He eats a fair amount of calories, although he won't use a tracker so I'm not sure how many he should have or what his macros should be. He isn't into tracking nutrition intake and is not willing to start. He does get protein in every meal, very low on carbs unless we go out to eat. Not conscious decision, he just tries to reduce calories where he can and is a meat lover.

Water intake: He drinks a ton of water. Like, way more than 8 8oz glasses a day. No recent changes to intake.

He does not really do stretches or roll out muscles, but he never has and cramps have not been a bother too many times in past.

Replies

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Eating a banana a day has help me and my husband. I also take a magnesium supplement. I get terrible calf cramps Tell your husband to flex his foot backwards, NOT like he's pointing his toes. That helps stop the cramp. In the cold weather I've also been getting toe and arch cramps, so adding the magnesium really helped.
    I'm a runner and the calf cramps have left my calves sore for days and gets in the way of running.
    Good luck!
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Eating a banana a day has help me and my husband. I also take a magnesium supplement. I get terrible calf cramps Tell your husband to flex his foot backwards, NOT like he's pointing his toes. That helps stop the cramp. In the cold weather I've also been getting toe and arch cramps, so adding the magnesium really helped.
    I'm a runner and the calf cramps have left my calves sore for days and gets in the way of running.
    Good luck!

Thank you so much, I will pass it along. When you say flex foot backwards do you mean like curl toes so bottom of foot arches? I'm having a hard time picturing/being slow =P
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My husband (and multiple family members) get calf/leg cramps - coconut water works really well for him. I have seen him laid out on the floor at 3 am trying to stretch his out, it looks horribly painful :/
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

This. Magnesium and potassium will hopefully help.
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Thanks everyone =) I hate seeing him in pain, and have passed on the tips. Hopefully one of those will help, as I'm sure we are both deficient based on diet.

What do you get magnesium in foodwise anyway?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I think a foam roller is the best way to work that out (other than stretching before it happens in the first place.)

Even a tennis ball applied to the knot. He has to get that lactic acid out of the muscle and once it cramps a stretch isn't going to do it. Massage and roller/foam ball.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try a magnesium supplement - any form besides magnesium oxide.
    Since he drinks a ton of water, he might need more sodium too.
    This stretch should help - do it every hour for 30+seconds, and right before bed too.
    If there's no improvement in a week, see a doctor about it.
    Is he on any medication?
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try a magnesium supplement - any form besides magnesium oxide.
    Since he drinks a ton of water, he might need more sodium too.
    This stretch should help - do it every hour for 30+seconds, and right before bed too.
    If there's no improvement in a week, see a doctor about it.
    Is he on any medication?

He takes a generic multivitamin gummi, same one I take but otherwise no medication.
    He probably has enough sodium, he likes his meat seasoned and usually puts a lot of salt on when cooking.
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem - I workout daily, I run, bike, and lift - and I used to get stellar calf cramps in the middle of the night. My doctor suggested I take a potassium supplement - no more calf cramps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Drinking a "ton of water" may actually contribute to the problem by stripping out electrolytes (no I'm not recommending Brawndo), in extreme cases too much water has proved fatal for a small number of endurance athletes. Less water, more potassium, magnesium and (perhaps) sodium.

https://health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/take-that-muscle-cramps