2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hi @tony56pr! You said above:
    tony56pr wrote: »
    Diets should be used as a tool. I lost 130 pounds low carb, (more than I planned) That's not really sustainable for life and always. That said, I understand where my weakness is and what I have to avoid so I don't get fat. Anyways, of course calories in/calories out, but for me and many I believe, carbs are an issue, I just cant get full like I should and end up eating way too much. So avoid all junk and try to keep other carbs to minimal. I do better somedays than others, but that's what is needed for me.

Hopefully without putting words in his mouth, what you describe is exactly what @NovusDies addresses in his OP. "
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What I learned is that a good plan has less to do with the scale and more to do with how easily I can stick to it. If just about any plan can produce results then the real secret is to pick one or design one that I can execute most days without much extra motivation or willpower. It is also important that I never think I have all the answers or that I am stubborn. If weight loss is your primary goal then evaluate everything on how easy you can sustain it and ignore the rest.

And please believe me that I would be saying the same if you had said low fat, or disciplined regiment, or any other number of things instead of low carb in your post.

Because what you're not mentioning is what you're changing and how you're attempting to make things easier and more sustainable for you this time around!
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hi @tony56pr! You said above:
    tony56pr wrote: »
    Diets should be used as a tool. I lost 130 pounds low carb, (more than I planned) That's not really sustainable for life and always. That said, I understand where my weakness is and what I have to avoid so I don't get fat. Anyways, of course calories in/calories out, but for me and many I believe, carbs are an issue, I just cant get full like I should and end up eating way too much. So avoid all junk and try to keep other carbs to minimal. I do better somedays than others, but that's what is needed for me.

Hopefully without putting words in his mouth, what you describe is exactly what @NovusDies addresses in his OP. "
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What I learned is that a good plan has less to do with the scale and more to do with how easily I can stick to it. If just about any plan can produce results then the real secret is to pick one or design one that I can execute most days without much extra motivation or willpower. It is also important that I never think I have all the answers or that I am stubborn. If weight loss is your primary goal then evaluate everything on how easy you can sustain it and ignore the rest.

And please believe me that I would be saying the same if you had said low fat, or disciplined regiment, or any other number of things instead of low carb in your post.

Because what you're not mentioning is what you're changing and how you're attempting to make things easier and more sustainable for you this time around!

MFP is reputed as a credible, educational, and inspirational source for short, and long term health principles and best practices......i question the validity(of actual long term dieters/healthy lifestyle advocates) with all the "gloom and doom" posts from self-proclaimed experts here that have a supposedly futuristic view into the outcome of every posters optimistic approach to dieting, strategy, etc.....an anticipated behavioral pattern based on "controlled studies" is appreciated, but please stop the "i've seen it before, it won't work" pessimism...individual commitments, goals, outlook on life in general, will vary per person....for the 5+ billion people on the planet.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    .double post.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,565 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier I totally agree with you, maintenance is a whole different beast! I went pretty hardcore with calories and exercise while losing weight. I also haunt the maintenance forum. Taking it slower would have taught me a more sustainable way of living. I'm working on finding that balance now. Losing you have feedback from the scale and healthy gains from losing the extra weight. Now it's a matter of setting goals like fitness ones and keeping those healthy changes.