Sciatica friendly alternates to weightlifting positions

Options
Hi all!

I’ve been doing a fitness class that I really love, but there’s one section that I suspect is irritating my sciatica. It’s supposed to help work out your lower back. I’m not well-versed in technical terms, but the instructor calls it deadlifts, and there’s a good part of the class where we’re leaning forward, bent over a bit and doing rowing lifts, bending forward and then standing straight.

I talked to the instructor and she suggested I bend less and watch my form. I am going to try that (though tbh I wasn’t bending that much) but was wondering if any of you had an alternate position. Hopefully you will understand the moves I’m talking about—if not I can try and clarify. I’d also appreciate any other suggestions on how to take care of my sciatic nerve.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Tbh if a instructor was to say "watch your form", it can be misleading even to more experienced lifter.

Form isn't the cause of injury(s) or increases injury risk by itself. The load can be though. Most trainers especially commercial trainers don't understand this.

If you are deadlifting a light load for you, then I would hazard the risk of injury is extremely low.

IF you were deadlifting with a inappropriate load that fatigues you to the point near failure, then the load could increase the risk of injury.

Deadlifts are a perfect safe lift with the appropriate intensity and volumr for a individual lifter.

Without seeing you lift or knowing your programming and training history, I can't give you sound advice other than generally I would continue deadlifting or a variation of the deadlift that is tolerable to the pain you experience and gets progressively better over time.

• Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I've swapped rack pulls for deadlifts and front squats for back squats due to back issues, and it has helped.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    krist3ng wrote: »
    the instructor calls it deadlifts, and there’s a good part of the class where we’re leaning forward, bent over a bit and doing rowing lifts, bending forward and then standing straight.

Sounds like a Bodypump type class, so the weight probably isn't too heavy. The usual culprits are not bracing your abs properly, and not hip-hinging properly, meaning your lower back is flexing. You can try checking the latter with a video camera placed to your side (wear tight fitting clothes). Both the bracing & hip hinging need to be done on both the rows and deadlifts (the bending over & standing up part). Note that abdominal bracing is more challenging in a class setting, because your attention is on the instructor instead of inward on your abs, so practice the exercises outside of the class. :+1:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are also positives, but that is a downside of lifting weights in a class setting. The rhythm of the class can lead to issues if your form is not solid.

By definition, sciatica is pressure on nerves with pain that radiates into the hips and legs. The exact nature of the pressure can differ in each case, so there is no “one size fits all” solution, and, even with good form, one can experience pain—even with lighter weights.

I’m not sure how much you can adapt the exercises in the class to suit your needs. If you want to continue taking the class, I would recommend, as the previous comment also stated, that you work on your form outside of class. During the class, I would also stay within yourself for now. When you get to the movements that are giving you problems, concentrate on form, even if that means slowing down, doing fewer reps, etc.

It would also be helpful to work on whatever is causing the sciatica. Sciatica is not a problem by itself. It is caused by something else.

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I have to say I’m not a fan of body pump classes. If that’s what we are talking about here.

The lifts are performed to the beat of the music and I find that annoying. It’s also a lot of reps if you have misjudged the weight on the bar.

I personally wouldn’t deadlift in a pump class. You could substitute a different exercise ir just take a rest. Or if I did I would just have the lightest of weight.