Gym Sauna's: good and bad of using them to shed pounds?

Options
swclifton
swclifton Posts: 421 Member
Are Sauna's good to help with losing a few last pounds? In a gym that has them in the locker rooms, what attire do you wear to sit in them, if you do?

Replies

• unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Any loss in a sauna will be water weight. Too much time in them can cause dehydration and in turn greater water retention than before.

In moderate use it *may* help with muscle recovery, which might make it easier to engage in more vigorous activity outside your workout, but it won’t have any direct impact on weight loss.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You’ll sweat the water out, then you’ll drink water and put it back on.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    swclifton wrote: »
    Are Sauna's good to help with losing a few last pounds? In a gym that has them in the locker rooms, what attire do you wear to sit in them, if you do?

1) Nope. Sweating does not cause fat loss, and your body needs the water you sweat out and quickly replaces it.
    2) this is very specific to each gym. Poke your nose in and check. As a woman I’ve seen saunas where either nakedness or a swimsuit were expected. My understanding is that most men go naked with a towel over the lap.
  • swclifton
    Options
    I like what those studies say. I will try the three shorter sessions with cool down between and see what happens. Been doing it 30-40 minutes at end of workouts with good success at end of workout for last year.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed how people will always look for a quick fix vs actually doing some work or watching what they eat.
  • swclifton
    Options
    Not a quick fix but it does seem to help with rehab after workout and preparation for day
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    swclifton wrote: »
    Not a quick fix but it does seem to help with rehab after workout and preparation for day

I would agree that it does help with rehab and preparation for the day. I often use the sauna in such a way. However, I would not consider this a way to lose a few pounds; at least not for any sustainable loss.

I wish you good health.