Gastric Sleeve Community

Options
2»

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I have more than a handful of relatives who've opted for WLS. Not one has maintained their weight loss. They ate it all back. One died from surgery complications. Some of their surgeons wanted them to conduct the pre-op diet to see if they were mentally prepared. That worked only until after the surgery. After the first year, they all started eating it back. Some of them went bald or lost most of their hair. The radical drop in weight without doing any exercise along the way aged them overnight. This isn't an easy fix and it certainly doesn't fix an emotional relationship with food.

My take. If you can conduct the pre-op diet then keep on going and learn to how to moderate yourself with all foods like the rest of us have to learn how to do. Keep on moderating yourselves with food and portions for the rest of your life. Rebound weight gain with friends happens to the WLS patient just like the yo-yo dieter. I refuse to start over and over and over again.

There's the honeymoon phase with WLS. Sudden drop in weight. Talk to them at the 5 year mark. That's when you'll get the true picture. Long term weight stability requires the ability to focus on what's really important.
    The best diet is the one that improves your health.
  • ssten09
    ssten09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey! I get my gastric sleeve done on in Sept this year. I am so nervous! I think mostly scared of preop pain hah but totally excited. Any tips on how to prepare for the first few weeks of recovery??