Decreasing sodium intake advice

Options
How do you guys manage to keep your sodium levels low? Even when I'm eating healthy I find that it is so hard to maintain my sodium levels so that they're under the DV. It's like sodium is literally in everything and I can't stand it. I don't use most salts or seasonings either. I know bread is a big contributor but is there anything you guys do that works for you?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private, so hard to say what's putting you over. But processed foods tend to have a lot, especially lunch meats, prepacked dinners, etc.

I do go over my setting sometimes, and just try to get a little extra water on those days, not a big deal.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The only way to really decrease your sodium is to make all your meals yourself, this way you can control what goes into each meal, because all processed foods contain sodium in varying quanity.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    we make a lot of things ourselves (salad dressings, peanut butter, bread) My husband has to stay around 1,000 mg a day and that was super tough at first but once we got used to not buying food pre made it got pretty easy!
  • Where_Have_You_Been37
    Options
    Wait I just realized I do drink a lot of alcohol during the weekend twice a week as I'm a college student lol Would this be a big factor?
  • shaggydaddy
    Options
    Sodium is kicking my *kitten* too. I can rarely have a day where I don't go over. It's frustrating
  • Jennloella
    Options
    only if you're chugging margaritas, bloody marys, or salty dogs, etc!!! I think there might be a tiny amount in beer but not sure, can probably check the info online.
  • Where_Have_You_Been37
    Options
    Hahaha yeah it's the worse. I guess it is possible to make all my own food but it sucks that I have to be extra extra careful when im out during large portions of the say. It sucks that it is literally in everything.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Minimize processed and/or restaurant foods.

There is no other answer.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    yes it is in so much stuff, stuff it has no business being in that's for sure....
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Cooking your own food is the only realistic way to do it.
  • Where_Have_You_Been37
    Options
    Okay so i'm looking at my food diary and when i'm at home my sodium levels are pretty good but if I even eat anything outside it shoots up. So maybe i'll try packing my own lunch or something. I usually eat sandwiches or salads (no dressing) when i'm out but lunch meats and cheese prob need to be eliminated. And bread -___- basically everything I like lol I don't know how you guys do it tbh xD
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical issue where you need to watch sodium, I wouldn't worry about it.

Read labels and do a lot of searching/comparing. This site helped me get a better idea of what foods to look for: http://www.lowsaltfoods.com/default.htm
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    The only way to really decrease your sodium is to make all your meals yourself, this way you can control what goes into each meal, because all processed foods contain sodium in varying quanity.
    It's true. Eating out KILLS your sodium intake. Make your own. I don't really restrict my sodium intake, I just stay away from too much, I don't like the water retention. Also I use grey salt, as it seems to be less harsh and tastes better.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The best way to monitor and control your sodium intake is to cook pretty much everything you eat from fresh.

Processed foods are usually packed with sodium, as is most food when you eat out, like restaurants, fast food, etc.

Don't be too quick to slate sodium though, it's essential for our diet.
  • Where_Have_You_Been37
    Options
    yeah water retention is the worst. Especially since I have a chubby face so my whole face bloats -___- I'm def going to try and cook more at home.

I just want to learn how to prevent things like hypertension early on. Especially since statistics show i'm more susceptible to it.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I am only supposed to have 1500mg or less, so I gradually phased out a lot of stuff. I guess I'll just make a list of different things I did.

First, I quit eating canned soup, frozen dinners and most anything else that was processed or in a box, such as mac n cheese, instant potatoes, etc.

I buy fresh or frozen vegetables, though my first choice is home grown. Canned vegetables have a lot of sodium, but you can rinse them to remove some of it.

I put the salt shaker away and started cooking with herbs. I grow my own but I also have a lot of store bought dried stuff on hand.

I use fresh lemon, lime and orange zest along with garlic, olive oil and pepper as a marinade for meat and veggies. I also use a rub made from paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and parsley. It's awesome on chicken and veggies.

If I go out for dinner, I ask them to not ADD any sodium, but usually the stuff is already marinated before they get it to the restaurant, or they don't have any plain. It doesn't hurt to ask though! Some of the 550 or less meals at Applebees have 3,000mg of sodium in them! If I do eat one of those, I will ask for my veggies plain and any sauces on the side. Now on the rare occasion when I eat dinner out, I can hardly stand the salty taste. Then, I drink a lot of water to help flush it out of my body.

I did find a mustard without sodium, it's Great Value spicy mustard from Walmart. It has a lot of flavor too.

Basically you have to cook almost everything yourself. It sucks but if you can prepare stuff and freeze it, it goes together faster.

I make a big crockpot full of spaghetti/pizza sauce and freeze it in small Ziploc bags. That makes several meals. Store bought sauces are loaded with salt. I add none to mine.
  • Where_Have_You_Been37
    Options
    ^Thank you so much! Especially the advice on ordering everything plain when at restaurants! :)
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been eating at 1500mgs of sodium per day for three months (I have high blood pressure I am trying to bring down.) You've already heard the basics. Get used to the idea of cooking your own meals from scratch, cook with spice not salt.

I will emphasize reading nutrition labels. You'd be completely shocked how much sodium is in foods like whole wheat bread. A piece of bread will have twice the sodium of a serving of potato chips. Wheat, white, doesn't matter. Because it's the leavening agents that have all the sodium.

This goes for almost all baked goods. Get ready to make your own and look for things like low or no sodium baking powder and soda. Grocery store meat is another one to watch out for. A lot of stores will 'plump up' meat by adding a saline solution. Which can add 300 mgs of sodium per serving.

It adds up fast.