Crohn’s Disease

Options
AriesFL
AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
edited December 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning all. Does anyone else suffer through this terrible disease? How do you manage it and keep it under control? How do you combat flare ups?

As for me. It is an up and down battle. Just four months ago I had a terrible flare up that was my worst in years. It might have been a combination of moving and drinking the Florida water. My weight dropped to 175.

I’m not 100 percent back to normal but I am a lot better at 212. My digestion is still quite not there but I am good for most part now. I manage my diet and medication and avoid trigger foods, but sometimes that’s not good enough. I avoid the hard to digest stuff, veggies, nuts, greasy food etc. Medication wise I am hoping to get off the Prednisone.

I tried to search and see if there was a topic. I did not see one. Figured this would be a good thread to help one another deal with this.

Replies

• AriesFL
    Options
    If you know anyone that is going through this. Feel free to post here too. I, or anyone else, might be able to help them.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My bf has it. He hates going to the doctor so hasn’t taken medication in years.
  • AriesFL
    Options
    I have Crohn's. I'm on Humira. I had my colon and rectum removed and a permanent ileostomy placed 2.5 years ago. Wish I had gotten it earlier. I no longer live in the bathroom. I have Crohn's in my stomach atm so am on a very restricted diet and very underweight. I also have gastroparesis on top of Crohn's in my stomach. It's oh so much fun.

I’m very sorry to hear. I have been diagnosed with it for over 11 years. Fortunately, I have not needed surgery. I did Humira when I was first diagnosed. It can get expensive. Right now I am on several pills. The prednisone is to get my stomach more back in line. If you need any help with any diets. I can suggest some ok foods that is at least something during a flare up. I’m sure you already know a lot.

• OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My dad had this and it really wasn't a fun thing for him. I mean he didn't complain much but it wasn't a great thing. Awful disease.
  • sriley721
    sriley721 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been in remission for years but I am still careful with spices, meat, seeds and stress
  • AriesFL
    Options
    sriley721 wrote: »
    I have been in remission for years but I am still careful with spices, meat, seeds and stress

What have you done to help keep it in remission other than avoid certain foods? That’s great news!

• AriesFL
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

@nooshi713
    Just saw this post. Oof. That might not be good. How is he handling it?
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I have stomach conditions since birth - was a premie back when they didn’t have NICU’s just a priest ,a prayer 🙏, send you home to live or die. I made it luckily.

Got Ulcerative y Microscopic Colitis y IBSD. Endometriosis y inside out uterus also triggered it to worsen.

Finding foods friendly for my stomach y diet.

Ones that didn’t send me to the bathroom or vomited or nausea list

1. 10calories G Hughes BBQ sauce
    2. Sugar free Bryers 70cal fudge bars
    3. Sugarfree Jello brand pudding (used unsweetened almond milk) y Sugarfree Jellos
    4. Baked y air fryer for meats or skillet with Pam nonstick spray
    5. Certain veggies to fruit like spinach leaves ,sweet apples, broccoli etc
    6. Crystal light peach tea
    7. Wheat bread toasted
    8. Low cal tortilla
    9. Certain cheese
    10. Vegan y vegetarian meat substitutes
    11. Unsweetened almond or cashew milks
    12. Gatorade zero (0cal y great for diabetics)
    13. Tilapia
    14. Steamed steak (bought a steamer machine turns off y warns when done)
    15. Potatoes 🥔 in air fryer
    16. Tortilla chips warmed in airfryer which gets some grease out!
    17. Healthy choice 100 cal fudge bars Sugarfree
    18. Sugarfree popsicle brand pops 40cal
    19. Steamed shrimp to crab
    20. Soups without cream (milk)
    21. Cauliflower,squash
    22. Prego brand spaghetti sauce
    23. Fettuccine noodles or squash noodles
    24. Vegan to vegetarian foods in general
    25. BeVita bars (don’t take during a flare up or diahreah days lots of fiber!)
    26. Special K cereals
    27. Granola y nuts in moderation on good says
    28. Banana,freash oranges 🍊 from my tree to make my own juice (less acidic)
    29. Waldens chipotle salad dressing 0cal
    30. Dark chocolate

Few more things but minds gone blank

I avoid greasy at all costs!! So skinless meats with fat cut off
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    AriesFL wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »

@nooshi713
    Just saw this post. Oof. That might not be good. How is he handling it?

He avoids certain foods, uses marijuana, avoids stress. He is underweight. What do you know about which foods tend to be bad for this disease? He has told me some but I want to know more so I can cook him the right things.

🙏
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    Are there standard foods bad for this disease or do individuals have different triggers?

My nephew, age 24, has this, he seems to be doing fairly well.

Not sure what meds he is on, if any - but he has to avoid any foods with seeds or roughage, like sweet corn, multi seed bread, fruits/veg with seeds.

I know, through my work, a couple of people on Humira.
    Of topic -but it is also used n severe rheumatoid arthritis.

Fortunately in Australia it is on the PBS as an authority script so cost to patients is standard PBS price, not expensive.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are there standard foods bad for this disease or do individuals have different triggers?

My nephew, age 24, has this, he seems to be doing fairly well.

Not sure what meds he is on, if any - but he has to avoid any foods with seeds or roughage, like sweet corn, multi seed bread, fruits/veg with seeds.

I know, through my work, a couple of people on Humira.
    Of topic -but it is also used n severe rheumatoid arthritis.

Fortunately in Australia it is on the PBS as an authority script so cost to patients is standard PBS price, not expensive.

There are no standard go or bad foods. For me, anything that has more than a few grams of fiber and fatty foods are bad. I have a jejunostomy feeding tube so get a balanced diet through that but I mostly eat junk by mouth as that is mostly what I tolerate
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I was on a liquid diet as a kid for months at a time,hospital trips to restore fluids if dehydrated, y rheumatoid arthritis runs in my family no clue if I have it or not yet give me a few decades to be sure.

Every Doctor who talked to me said some foods folks have in common as good or bad the rest of the foods can effect everyone different especially females since our bodies change from pregnancies. I had to try different medication to a medical trial. Then every pregnancy my stomach got better then after son (last kid) bam throw up sodas etc. I can stomach Diet Pepsi but cleans me out!
    Used to not be able to eat artificial sugars ,but now can eat it without issues.