Question!

Options
Well, more like some questions/I need serious motivation.

Okay so I have had a rocky road with my weight loss, and I dropped a lot really fast by doing stuff I am not proud of but totally own up to now. I am recovering. But the thing is, is I have some things I need to get through to my head and my right logic is struggling.

A little about me:

I lost my period. (amenorrhea/hormonal imbalance)
I am at a healthy weight (112lbs even though normally I look heavier and 5'4) I want to be 125 though, but I want that to be muscle more so than fat.
I do try to eat a good amount of calories , I just need to find my balance with getting them to maintenance which I really want to do but at the moment I feel like a bloated whale when I try to eat high.

So my questions are...

I have serious adipose tissue forming as I have had to cut back from working out hard to help my periods get back on track but it's like messing with my mind, so what types of workouts would you suggest I do to build muscle and shed fat? I do crunches, and do pushups, squats etc... but it like just sits there...(and I am not supposed to go all out on cardio either...) It's so messed up!!

As for calorie intake, could my weight(or water, salt) retention be because of my all over the map calorie intake? My dietician is of no help with this either, neither are my doctors to any of this, so I really do need help?

Replies

• PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. If I were in your shoes and wanting to gain weight by eating more calories without getting that super "full" feeling, I'd eat generous portions of snacks that are high in protein/calories between eating healthy meals. Some that come to mind are: Pistachios, cashews, raisins, yogurt (not the lite version), dried fruits, bananas, granola (I have a great recipe for simple homemade granola if you'd like), Quaker oatmeal squares, cheese, etc. Most of these are packed with calories but are healthy. They contain "good" fats, and many are high in protein, iron or both. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get very full snacking on any of them, and often have to remind myself to stop by counting out my portion ahead of time - however, I'm trying to lose weight.

As for workouts to build muscle, I would have to recommend strength training. There should be ample info online about starting a strength training program. Building muscle should help with your distorted body image. I would imagine if you've gone down the road to anorexic (just a guess) weight loss that you have little to no body fat that needs to be shed right now. Just working to strengthen your muscles should improve your self esteem and give you the body you want to see.

Is there another expert you could consult with regards to your physical comeback? I should think that your doctor or dietician should be able to recommend someone to help you along the way. Are there any support groups you could attend (if only to seek guidance?) I'm glad to see you are mentally and physically on the mend. It shows a tremendous amount of courage and inner strength. Best of luck to you!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    To gain weight and muscle you need to eat at a surplus and lift heavy weights. Start with a full body program like stronglifts 5x5, it's simple and straightforward and free online. What you need to do is called bulking.

Unfortunately, there is no way to gain muscle without gaining some fat. The way it's done is cyclical, you bulk, eat a surplus, lift weights, and then you cut, eat at a deficit, lift weights, shed the fat, bulk again, cut again. There's really no shortcuts to the process.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a question of my own for you - why does your ticker show a desired result of weight loss if you are wanting to get to 125?
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a question of my own for you - why does your ticker show a desired result of weight loss if you are wanting to get to 125?

Motivation. If I see a weight gain ticker It sets off a disaster with anxiety. So by having it low like that it'll show how I improve or if I don't.

And okay, with lifting heavy (I understand the bulking and cutting process) shouldn't I do a metabolism reset first and than bulk? But what I fear with lifting overly heavy is that my hormones will continue to be all out of whack. My doctors are nut jobs when it comes to this. And the PT at the gym are hard to get consultations with.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Motivation. If I see a weight gain ticker It sets off a disaster with anxiety. So by having it low like that it'll show how I improve or if I don't.

And okay, with lifting heavy (I understand the bulking and cutting process) shouldn't I do a metabolism reset first and than bulk? But what I fear with lifting overly heavy is that my hormones will continue to be all out of whack. My doctors are nut jobs when it comes to this. And the PT at the gym are hard to get consultations with.

The key to metabolism reset is eating more. If you bulk, you'll be eating a surplus so you will be doing both things at the same time.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options

The key to metabolism reset is eating more. If you bulk, you'll be eating a surplus so you will be doing both things at the same time.

Okay. I need to get up to maintenance and find a balance there though.