Swimming

Options
Hello all.

I have decided to start swimming as part of my exercise routine throughout the week (2-3 times is my aim, on top of other things). I have not been in a swiming costume/pool since I was about 14, and as much as I love the water I am terrified of walking out into the pool area later this week in pretty much 'nothing' in front of people I don't know.

I know once I'm in the water I'll be fine, but I am feeling so nervous about exposing my body which is already the source of all my discomfort.

Do any of you go swimming? Did you feel the same way? How do you get over it?
Any tips for getting the best out of my workout?

(lots of questions, I know!)

Replies

• HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am very much like that. I take a bath sheet so that I can wrap myself fully. I pull it off and hop in the pool. The reality is no one is looking at me and judging what I look like in a bathing suit, it is just me and I really have to get over it. Good luck and enjoy your pool workout!!!
  • jlrolland
    jlrolland Posts: 5
    Options
    I know how you feel. I go to the pool and splash park as a family out ing quite regularly, because it's somthing that the whole family can do and it's fun and excersise as well. Try getting a bathing suit with the skirt, they tend to have a sliming effect. I used to just put a t-shirt over my bathing suit until I felt more comfortable.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I started swimming again this year and had the same concern. There are "adult only lane swimming" times at our local pools so I opted for that time to go. I had to chuckle once I got there as the majority of the adults that were in the pool were older, heavier, people. They also come during these times and I've now made some new friends as a result and feel completely at ease.
    As with many things . . . it is only hard until you try . . . have fun and GO FOR IT!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I swim. I know personally I could not bring myself to do it for the first 40 lbs or so. I wish I had, I really love swimming and I've lost enough doing it that I had to get a smaller suit!

I wrap myself in a towel for a walk to the poolside and then ditch it and hop in immediately. None of that stretching in my suit poolside stuff for me!

I also have a two piece suit - tankini top that goes all the way down to the waist, and a swim skirt. They have skirts and shorts that cover a lot more of you but are still good for swimming. That might make you more comfortable, I know it certainly helps me. And the skirts can actually be really cute!

After spending some time doing gym laps though, I realized no one cares. Everyone from people much heavier than myself, to completely ripped, from old and doing a workout for the joints to young and RACING through the pool, everyone is just there for a little exercise. It's like being on any machine or doing any workout in the gym. Once you get past the initial "OMG, everyone is watching" feeling and get used to it, it's no big deal.

Good luck!
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I just started swimming for exercise this month. I'm taking what our rec center calls "adult technique class". For those of us who know how to swim but don't do it that well and want to improve. I was scared sh**less but found the atmosphere encouraging and found that I don't really swim any worse then anyone else there (including my husband!). Also, I was wearing, for the first time, an actual fitness suit but its considered a conservative cut - low leg openings - not the ones that go up to your hips! I think that scared me more then swimming with a group of people.

So, find a suit you feel comfortable in - its hard - and wrap that towel around your waist and when you get to the side of the pool throw it aside and get in. I might also suggest a class. Its doing wonders for my confidence. I feel that when its over I'll be able to join in on lap swims and not feel so out of place.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel like that...however I love swimming and always have. I stopped going some when my kids were young then I thought "this is so NOT fair to them"...because they couldn't go if I didn't take them. So I sucked it up and just kept telling myself that I had as much right to swim as the next person and if they didn't like how I looked they could just look the other way. I do always wear a long cover up till I'm ready to go in..but I also lay out during breaks. I guess over the years I have gotten used to it. And where I go I'm not always the largest one there so that helps too. I think once you make yourself go a few times you will get used to it. It is GREAT exercise and easy on your joints...not to mention feels fantastic! Good luck!
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that when I took the deep water aquatics classes, we had 2 very overweight ladies join the classes. When I looked at them, all I felt was admiration. The courage it took them to be in that class, let alone get into a bathing suit.....wow! Now, 6 years later, I can't tell you how they looked in their bathing suits, but I still remember I was so impressed that they were actually getting out there and trying to do something about the shape they were in. so keep that in mind, and just do it and enjoy it!!!!!
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you that not only do i hate putting on the suit but I hate taking it off when it is wet and clingy. I just get in there and I use a board to kick and kick and kick until I have had enough and then i get out. (my pool is not large enough to swim). Just dont worry about the rest just remember that you are working on a better you and this is just a small bump in the road and there will be a time when it wont be so bad.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think buying a suit and going out in public at the gym was the most terrifying thing I have done as a overweight adult. But the only skinny people I saw were the instructors and it was so much fun doing the aerobics that I soon forgot about it. The public showers and open lockers though, another nightmare I conquered. Course I did take a seniors class which helped a lot.:smile:
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice and stories guys :)

It's so nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way - I think it's just the pre-pool nerves, and I definately think once I'm in there it'll be great. I've heard that swimming is a good activity as it works the whole body so really want it in my routine.

Am going to call my local pool and find out if they have any times thats best for adults (I'm assuming early morning since it's summertime and the kids are off school) and just got for it :)

This site is amazing - this is my first topic and I am overwhelmed by the number of responses :) I feel so supported in my weight loss for the first time!!!

:-D
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    I'm a UK 10-12 and still feel self conscious at the swimming pool. I think everyone does. The one day I realised that I was too busy worrying about my own body to be looking at anyone else's - so the truth is that everyone else is doing the same :) It is hard though.

I've also added you as a friend - I'm about to start a PhD too :)
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from and I've been swimming pretty much all my life (love the water) as a uni student I swim at home and at uni and the first time in each pool after the time at the other location is a bit nerve racking but I grit my teeth and get on with it, try to think that there's bigger people swimming than you and nobody is looking they're all busy doing their own thing. When I was younger and A LOT more self concious than I am now I used to just get from the changing room to the water in the quickest time possible because I figure once you're in the water people can't see your body any more.

The first time will be the worst for nerves, good luck, swimming is a great exercise!
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ok so I went swimming today for the first time and actually it was not bad at all! Everyone there was much older than me, and at the end of the day all of us were there to get fit. I even got some tips from other swimmers.

All I can say is.....WOW!

I literally did ONE LENGTH and was out of breath. I do a semi-breaststroke (ie. I do the arms but simply kick the legs to stay floating) and it wrecked me after just one length. I felt tempted to give up and go home when I realised that all the (much older, 70 years +) people around me were doing it with ease, and at the end of the day, I need to get fit. So I pushed on at it, and at the end of each length focused on my breathing so I didn't get out of breath half way through a lap. After 20 mins, I was recovering more quickly and made a whole 40 minutes!

When I steped out of the pool....MY WHOLE BODY WAS LIKE JELLY. But it felt really good and I feel so energised! I definately recommend it to everybody!!

I want to get a good HRM that's waterproof(hoping they exist) to see just how much I really burned or if its close to MFP's estimate of 450cals (Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort) because that was the toughest exercise I have done since I used to do Bodypump/Bodycombat classes at my old gym.

Thanks for all the suport yesteday guys, without a little push from you I would've probably put this off til another day!!

:D:D:D