I have a bad cold - give me your local cures!

Options
Let me start by saying I know you can’t really cure a cold, I just have to let it run it’s course. But I feel horrible with a hacking cough and I’m grumpy. Mainlining honey and lemon in hot water - what do you do / any weird and wonderful loca cures I can try?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Robitussin works for me for toning down the cough, but other than plenty of fluids, running it’s course is about all you can do.

Zicam works if I take it as soon as I get the first symptoms. Cuts the duration and severity for me.

Hope you feel better.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I use dayquil... But: Garlic, Honey, and Whiskey... Not all at the same time. Because ick. :D

I’m glad you qualified that. I was thinking that sounded disgusting but I’ll try anything 🤣🤣
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Rehydrated soft figs and almonds always works for my sore throat! You’ll see a difference in one day. Make a mixture with about 10 figs and handful of almonds by crushing a food processor/blender. Eat 3-4 times a day.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Day & Night quill or Robitussin...plus a nice warm bowl of chicken noodle soup.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Rehydrated soft figs and almonds always works for my sore throat! You’ll see a difference in one day. Make a mixture with about 10 figs and handful of almonds by crushing a food processor/blender. Eat 3-4 times a day.

Uh - won’t that just act as a laxative? Don’t want that as well! 😳
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Find a chinese place that has Hot & Sour soup, add some hot pepper flakes. Or the old standby, Fireball whiskey and cranberry juice...homemade cough syrup
  • jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I take elderberry syrup. Can be purchased at Wal Mart GNC or a local Homeopathic store. I took it from Mid september until Thanksgiving and watched everyone around me get sick with the flu or cold and i never got a hint of getting sick. I ran out and forgot to get some more and now I have a cold 3 weeks later :disappointed: That combined with Emergen-C has been a life saver this year.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really helps my cough, congestion, and sleeping when I'm that sick is NyQuil severe cold and flu. Walmart and HEB both make their own versions that work well. I also try to take extra vitamin c when I feel something coming on and use Dr. Schulze oral therapy for a throat gargle.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Dimetapp. And a run to shake it all loose.
  • Womanvsweight
    Womanvsweight Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eat a medium hot Indian curry 🍛

Drink a mixture of hot water honey lemon cayenne pepper and whiskey 🍺
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Sweat it out. Put on sweats, heavy socks, get in bed with your hot water, lemon and honey. Cover up all the way. Stay covered and sweat like crazy. Good for about one day. Then repeat.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    NyQuil
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of spicy Asian soup plus quarts and quarts of tea. I especially like Yogi Ginger tea, which includes licorice, which is soothing for the throat. Bigger supermarkets, Whole Foods, health food stores, and Amazon carry Yogi tea.

A more cost effective version I used to do when I was younger, cheaper, and more energetic was to make my own licorice and ginger tea by simmering chopped ginger root and dried Licorice Root. Frontier carries that: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Frontier-Natural-Products-Licorice-Root-Cut-Sifted-16-oz-453-g/30785
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    It's clearly too late for the OP, but I can often seemingly stave off a cold if I take Wellness Formula at the first sign of it: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Source-Naturals-Wellness-Formula-Herbal-Defense-Complex-120-Capsules/71155

(These also come in tablets, but they are large and nasty smelling "horse pills" that I only made the mistake of buying once.)
  • Tausi
    Tausi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I use dayquil... But: Garlic, Honey, and Whiskey... Not all at the same time. Because ick. :D
    I sometimes use a concoction of raw garlic, lemon, raw honey, fresh ginger and whisky. Had to swallow but works wonders especially for a chesty cold.

• Jassaph
    Jassaph Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I make a tea of ginger, garlic, lemon and honey. And they work for me, whether it is hot or not. I just boil it all in a big pot (juice of lemon not the pith but you can add that if you don't mind the butterflies). I drink it as water that period
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Local, raw honey, take a 1/4tsp and swish it in your mouth, then let it run down your throat to coat it. In tea is good too but I suspect the heat kills off some of the virus fighting properties. As much spice as you can eat, vit c, vit d, and oregano oil rubbed on your feet.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    Options
    For sinus blockage a moist washcloth heated for 30 sec in the microwave provides great relief on your forehead if you don’t have some sort of steam gadget.