Workout Too Long

allother94
allother94 Posts: 588 Member
edited December 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently worked with a trainer to develop a 3x week split routine. However, given my work schedule, I’ve found that I can’t make it to the gym as often as I’d like and switched to an overall workout. However, my workout is about 2-3 exercises too long given the time I can spend at the gym. If you had to drop a couple from the below, which would you drop?

Bench Press Barbell
Dumbbell bent over rows
Dumbbell incline bench
Dumbbell overhead press
Dumbbell bicep curls
Dumbbell shrugs
Dumbbell stiff leg deadlift
Leg press
Calf raises on leg press
Tricep extensions cable
Lat pull downs cable
Captain chair leg raises
Cable cross overs Chest

Also, if you see anything missing, I would be interested to hear what you have to say. I tried to pull the key exercises from the 3x. Squats and deadlifts will be added after I build a decent base.

Thanks!

Replies

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    There's a lot to be considered here. Starting with your goals, training age and experience, and physical limitations.

If you're just starting out or coming back after a long lay off, less is more. Not that you won't benefit from isolation work but doing the bigger compound exercises will do for now in stimulating the main movers and the supporting muscles.

You have a lot of pressing in that routine, I agree with taking out one of the bench press.

Variation doesn't have to come from different exercises, it can come from different loading schemes and patterns. So another way that less is more is to change the sets and reps focusing on getting better at that particular exercise while changing the type of strength focus for that day or week.

Undulating loads are what that is typically called. I'm just taking shots in the dark without knowing more though.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    Dump:

One of the chest presses
    Calf raise
    Shrugs
    Leg raise
    Cable chest
    Biceps curls for now

Add:
    Rear deltoid exercise (google for examples)
    If you can’t do body wt dips and they have an assisted dip machine, consider substitute/ alternate dip for cable tri ext.

Consider adding loaded carry (farmers walk and variations)

I’m sure others will have more ideas.

Agree with all the above. Also with @wiigelec comments that squats and deadlifst should be in your base. If you lack the time take out the leg press and do these instead.

If you work a desk job and have the typical rounded shoulders that go with it, I'd drop the cable triceps extensions and add another pulling movement. Horizontal rows are a good option IMO because they force one to engage the core:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSq-Aon--x4
  • allother94
    Horizontal rows look very similar to cable rows...
  • allother94
    wiigelec wrote: »
    allother94 wrote: »
    Squats and deadlifts will be added after I build a decent base.
    Squats and deadlifts are how you build a base...

My trainer strongly suggested not doing it yet. It was a bummer because I got a trainer only to learn squats and deadlifts. Regardless, I’ve only been lifting weights about 1.5 years and I only used machines before I went to a trainer a couple of months ago. The above routine with a couple tweaks is far better than what I was doing. I figure I’ll worry about squats and deadlift in 6 months to a year from now.
  • Theoldguy1
    Horizontal rows look very similar to cable rows...

Most people need more pulling these will give a core workout as you have to maintain tension throughout the movement
  • allother94
    edited December 2019
    My trainer is an ex lifting competitor. I believe it base on their body. There must be something in my form, or weakness in my body, that I can’t communicate via posting.

Regardless, I’ve been taught the squat and deadlift now. I’m just going to practice them here and ther and work them in over 6 months just in case my trainer was right. It’s only 6 months after all...
  • allother94
    edited December 2019
    mmapags wrote: »
    I'd be getting a new trainer...

Exactly! If one is lifting for a year and a half and is not ready for squats, they never will be. This is a foundational lift. It's one of the first things to learn. The trainer sounds clueless.

mmapags, I’ve seen you reply to me a few times. You seem to have good advice. Do you mind me asking what your workout looks like, both lifting and other exercising?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Exactly! If one is lifting for a year and a half and is not ready for squats, they never will be. This is a foundational lift. It's one of the first things to learn. The trainer sounds clueless.

mmapags, I’ve seen you reply to me a few times. You seem to have good advice. Do you mind me asking what your workout looks like, both lifting and other exercising?

My primary intentional exercise is weight training. I use the P.H.U.L. program and really like it. You can look it up and see the composition of the program. It is very balanced and hits all major muscle groups 2x per week.

When I first started, I tried both Stronglifts 5x5 and then moved to Starting Strength, which I like better. They are both very good beginner programs. Both include squats and DLs from the beginning. Just because your trainer has a good physique doesn't necessarily mean he knows what he's doing as a trainer. There are a lot of trainers with good physiques that are clueless. The fact that he has you avoiding doing foundational lifts and a hodgepodge of a program with some structural issues are indicators.
  • allother94
    edited December 2019

My primary intentional exercise is weight training. I use the P.H.U.L. program and really like it. You can look it up and see the composition of the program. It is very balanced and hits all major muscle groups 2x per week.

When I first started, I tried both Stronglifts 5x5 and then moved to Starting Strength, which I like better. They are both very good beginner programs. Both include squats and DLs from the beginning. Just because your trainer has a good physique doesn't necessarily mean he knows what he's doing as a trainer. There are a lot of trainers with good physiques that are clueless. The fact that he has you avoiding doing foundational lifts and a hodgepodge of a program with some structural issues are indicators.

Thanks! Your program is almost identical to the 3x program I was given except I was told to practice and ease into squats and deadlifts. I just had to parse it down because I don’t have time for all of it. Looks like I have most of the power moves from your program, so there’s that.

The tricky part about all this is deciding who to trust. I’m sure if I took this to my trainer he would say “who are you going to trust? A certified professional or some random guy on the internet?” Regardless, it’s good to get different opinions. Given your program is similar to his give me confidence.

• allother94

Why no cardio? Seems like you would gain a lot of additional health benefits if you added some cardio...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Why no cardio? Seems like you would gain a lot of additional health benefits if you added some cardio...

I live in a medium sized city in Mexico, Oaxaca. I don't own a car. I walk everywhere. And like most of Mexico, Oaxaca is hilly. I get in plenty of cardio just living. The walk to my house from El Centro is steadily uphill with the last 50 yards being a fairly steep incline. My walk to the gym is a little more than 1.5 miles each way with inclines.

If I stop at the Mercado after and food shop, I can have another 20lbs in my backpack on the way home. Plus, we are at almost 5000 ft above sea level. I get in plenty of low to medium impact cardio just going about life. Some days my pedometer on my phone shows as many as 8 miles. I probably average about 5 per day up and down the hills. Given that, there is not further need to do more intentional cardio.

• allother94
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Dump:

One of the chest presses
    Calf raise
    Shrugs
    Leg raise
    Cable chest
    Biceps curls for now

Add:
    If you can’t do body wt dips and they have an assisted dip machine, consider substitute/ alternate dip for cable tri ext.

Agree with all the above. Also with @wiigelec comments that squats and deadlifst should be in your base. If you lack the time take out the leg press and do these instead.

If you work a desk job and have the typical rounded shoulders that go with it, I'd drop the cable triceps extensions and add another pulling movement. Horizontal rows are a good option IMO because they force one to engage the core:

Not sure I would feel comfortable doing the exercise in the video... I think people will look at me funny.
  • allother94
    I recently worked with a trainer to develop a 3x week split routine. However, given my work schedule, I’ve found that I can’t make it to the gym as often as I’d like and switched to an overall workout. However, my workout is about 2-3 exercises too long given the time I can spend at the gym. If you had to drop a couple from the below, which would you drop?

Bench Press Barbell
    Dumbbell bent over rows
    Dumbbell incline bench
    Dumbbell overhead press
    Dumbbell bicep curls
    Dumbbell shrugs
    Leg press
    Calf raises on leg press
    Tricep extensions cable
    Lat pull downs cable
    Captain chair leg raises
    Cable cross overs Chest

Also, if you see anything missing, I would be interested to hear what you have to say. I tried to pull the key exercises from the 3x. Squats and deadlifts will be added after I build a decent base.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. But I like my program above and not looking to do a major change. It is a couple of exercises too long though. If I wanted to drop a couple, which would be good to drop? I’m thinking chest crossovers and shrugs... I was thinking having lat pull downs and bent over rows would be doing the same thing twice, but no one has said anything about it...
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member

Bench Press Barbell
    Dumbbell bent over rows
    Dumbbell incline bench
    Dumbbell overhead press
    Dumbbell bicep curls
    Dumbbell shrugs
    Leg press
    Calf raises on leg press
    Tricep extensions cable
    Lat pull downs cable
    Captain chair leg raises
    Cable cross overs Chest

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. But I like my program above and not looking to do a major change. It is a couple of exercises too long though. If I wanted to drop a couple, which would be good to drop? I’m thinking chest crossovers and shrugs... I was thinking having lat pull downs and bent over rows would be doing the same thing twice, but no one has said anything about it...

Rows are a horizontal pull and are better at adding thickness while lat pull down is a vertical pull and better at adding width. Both are necessary. Keep them both.

Cable cross over and shrugs can go for now, I agree with that decision.

I think you should find out why you're being told to leave out deadlift and squats. If your form is bad... Learn to do them better but those are 2 lifts that people shouldn't live without for more reasons than one.
  • Theoldguy1
    Dump:

One of the chest presses
    Calf raise
    Shrugs
    Leg raise
    Cable chest
    Biceps curls for now

Add:

Not sure I would feel comfortable doing the exercise in the video... I think people will look at me funny.

Not sure why you would feel uncomfortable. If you think people will believe you look funny compare your build to those clowns doing unending sets of concentration curls after 6 months

• allother94
    edited December 2019
    Dump:

One of the chest presses
    Calf raise
    Shrugs
    Leg raise
    Cable chest
    Biceps curls for now

Add:

Not sure why you would feel uncomfortable. If you think people will believe you look funny compare your build to those clowns doing unending sets of concentration curls after 6 months

It’s just not something I see others doing. There are a lot of big dudes in my gym, and they all pretty much do the same 10-15 exercises. There is one guy that is always doing weird stuff like this, but he is no bigger than the others.

Plus I would need to set this up. Need a bar to pull up on near a place I can push with my feet.

Is this an exercise you do? And when you call yourself an “old guy”, how old are we talking here?